• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metoclopramide Syrup

Jennie Wright

Warren Scout
Hi, does anyone know where I can buy the above? I was given it by my vets to aid recovery of GI statis for one of my rabbits as she said if I gave it at home when needed it would save the stress to the rabbit of bringing him in. I have now moved and my new vet won't provide this and said I need to bring the rabbit in if he gets it, which only adds to the problem due to the stress. Any ideas? Thanks

It is a prescription only medication so your Rabbit will have to be examined by the new Vet before it can be given.

Whilst it is a useful med in some cases of GI hypomotility it should never be used if a GI obstruction is suspected. To do so could prove to be fatal.
Your new Vet is very wise not to hand out Metoclopromide without examining your Rabbit.

GI motility problems are usually a secondary symptom of another problem. The usual suspects being :
Too little fibre in the diet
Dental problems
Pain
Stress
Obesity and lack of exercise.

I would advise you to try to identify the cause of your Buns gut problems then hopefully the meds wont be needed

Good Luck :)

My vet allows me to have it at home for Dusty, but that's because she has a long term condition that requires her to go in and out of stasis a lot. I know exactly how you feel (what with the cost and stress of emergency treatments), but I do agree that you need to have the cause investigated if a bunny suddenly becomes ill out of the blue.

It doesn't happen that often. I have four rabbits and reckon its one of them maybe every couple of months. Just want some as I am going away and leaving them with the neighbour and want him to have this in case it happens. Its just frustrating. Thanks though.

Things that are definitely good to have around are Infacol and peppermint tea. I find cooled peppermint tea really good for tummies.

i had the same question as bif is prone to this problem...so instead i keep suppleis of fibreplex paste in the cupborad and give her at least one tubes worth as directed until i can see the vet..if not then i go to emergency with her..our vets couldnt get hold of the syrup due to a supplier problem and so we had to crush the pills in water and syringe it!..not easy!

infacol...ooh peppermint tea...how diluted? bif loves fresh mint so she might like that. fibreplex..bio lapis...avipro powder......rabbit recovery sachets....the usual in our cupboard:shock::lol:

I just soak a teabag of peppermint tea in a teacup for a few minutes, then take the bag out, and let it cool. I then give 1 ml at a time. :)

Metoclopramide is also for human--the exact same MG/ML. So I used to go to the doctor's office and claim it's for my stomach. Some doctor said I should try the tablet format, and I said to them I stuck w/ what works for me. I get the prescription and every1 is happy :D

It doesn't happen that often. I have four rabbits and reckon its one of them maybe every couple of months.

I would say that this is often. I also have 4 rabbits and I can only think of two occasions in the past 4 years where any of them have gone into stasis. If it's happening with that sort of regularity then I would definitely want to be finding out why, that is not normal. Is it usually just one of them or do they 'take it in turns' to go into stasis?

Yes, it sounds a little like my bunnies started off, where they took it in turns to go into stasis. It turned out that they had E cuniculi, but none of the normal symptoms.

bif is positive 10% ec..and has had gut probs all the time since just before oscar died 2 years ago. he died of stasis they bith ahd it at the same time and she survived he didnt.....:(
now i know its along temr prtob caused by her having a bunny version of post traumatic disorder fromwhere she wqas so badly abused before being rescued and then the rescue rehomhing her brother 3 days after being rescued and then her having to stay there for over 2 months until she was well anuff to be spayed. then coming to ive with us settiling in after 6 months obly to lose her husbun..and she lay downto die four days after..if jo handt pitched up with bertie on loan shed have died...then bertie got adopted by us as shed bonded with him.
she was misdiagnsoed with cervical cancer and was looking at beingpts within a fortnight or less so i took her for a second opinion and it was inflammation of ehr whole gi tract and it slowing right down..and her teeth have a few dentals but not excessive and shes now a dumpling even tho shes on a strict diet....shes terrified and doesnt move very far....

but i was told dont automaically give her metaclopramide as it can have the reverse affect and kill buns as has a lready been said here.
theres always a root cause physical mostly but emotional too altho not many vets will teel you its a stress response:roll: now i know i can work aorund her.

but its not laways easy and she does get stressed pretty easily and often but its always fibreplex at the hint of too many soft poos or too many tiny ones then after a tube or two its back to the vets but fibreplex and a few weeks of bio lapis helps a lot. maybe gibe that a try on your buns whilst you try to get to the root of their problem?

metoclopramide

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can shed a little light on the affects that metoclopramide has on a bunny. Our senior bun had his first dose of it last night and has now gone VERY quiet. Is this normal? he is being treated for a gassy tummy :(

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can shed a little light on the affects that metoclopramide has on a bunny. Our senior bun had his first dose of it last night and has now gone VERY quiet. Is this normal? he is being treated for a gassy tummy :(

Metoclopromide is a gut motility stimulant used to increase the rate of gastric emptying in the upper GI tract

Is your Bunny having pain relief ?

Is he eating/pooing at all ?

It's more likely to be a sign that the bun is feeling bad than a side effect of the drug, I'd say.

Has the bunny been given pain relief? Is food going in and poo out the other end?

yes, he is eating and pooping
He has a long history of E.C and urinary troubles and the vet seems to think that too many anti-biotics upset his gut flora (I treated him with cecatrophes from a healthy bun) but his tummy is so gassy -hence the metoclopramide
And yes he is on pain relief. The teeth grinding has ceased, but hes gone very quiet and some of his poops have gone small in size overnight

Metoclopramide Syrup is used for short term treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease in patients who do not respond to other therapies. It is used to treat symptoms of a certain digestive problem in diabetic patients. Metoclopramide Syrup is a gastrointestinal stimulant and anti-nauseant. It works by increasing the movement of the stomach and intestines to help move food and acid out of the stomach more quickly.
This drug can be used in pets vomiting from metabolic problems, such as kidney failure, in pets with gastroenteritis.
--------------------
Richa

That'll be straight out of a medical handbook online then - nice plug for your businesses

Back