• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

introducing a new rabbit

silver grin

Young Bun
Hey all,

We've got a 3 and a half year old boy rabbit that lives in the shed in his hutch and loves life!

We were thinking about taking a kitten(s) but now from looking at the photos in here we are warming to the idea of taking on another rabbit but we are worried about introducing a new one to the rabbit we have, Noodle.

About 2 years ago we found another male rabbit in the garden. No-one claimed him so we took him in and life was sweet when they met each other with bars in between them. However......... when they met without the bars Noodle just went mad and tried to attack the new male.

Suffice to say we had to find the new male a new home and this was successful.

We now want another pet of some kind and as I have said above we are torn between a kitten or a rabbit. If we got a baby girl rabbit would he be okay with it?

He has been neutered.

Many thanks

Hiya

If i were you i would get a neutered doe, trouble with getting a baby bun is you have to go through the hormone stage when shes too young to be neutered and often ends up with a few scuffles that can lead to vets bills until they are settled! At least with a neutered doe from a rescue, they will know their personality, you can introduce the buns before you home the new one to see if they take to eachother and the doe will be neutered and less hormonal! They are more likely to bond with less problems! You can still have a young rabbit there are plenty in rescues just i wouldnt go for a baby.

get an adult bun from a rescue.they will likely want to do ahome check and usually like to have a 6x2ft hutch and a 6x6ft run which access to is minimum 3 hours a day. they will liekely want to see that noodle is in good health and that is safe from predators... i think you should get an adult bun who is already neutered take noodle to your local rescue and let him speed date tehm then they can bond them the problem with buns is unless oyu introduce them on nuetral ground they often fight for territory and if they arent neutered will often fight for dominance(not just hump and chase) also getting a girliee bun who is speyed will mean you wont need to worry about uterine cancer which affects 85% of unspeyed girls over 3years(and remember they can live till 8-14!!!! so its well worth it. i think all buns love to have company and friends whereever possible ... thinks you could try and convince o/h to convert shed into a bunny palace?!! lol still if not i do think that a freind would be nice. x

Back