• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting a disciplinary.....

Bluesmum

Wise Old Thumper
Well.....I work for an insurance company and today I had a lady call looking for pet insurance. So I explained that we didn't do pet insurance and asked what she was looking to cover.
Turns out she was looking to cover a dog, so I mentioned Blue and how he was insured through pet plan because there isn't really much choice for buns. She then turned round and said that she didn't have hers insured, she didn't realise you could. So, expecting to have a bun chat (and waste time!!) I asked her a bit about her buns. What she told me made my blood boil.
She'd bought them for her kids a couple of years ago who quickly lost interest. So the bunnys lived a solitary life in a tiny pet shop hutch, only getting food and water occasionally.
Then they went out one morning to find that one had died. And because they thought the other bunny would be lonely, released it into the wild. She then had the audacity to say that maybe if they had been insured then she could have claimed.
Well, needless to say I went absolutely ballistic. To be honest, I don't even remember what I said I was so angry.
I think the worst thing about it was that she wasn't even remotely sorry for what she had done.
And then she said those 4 words what make me want to throttle anyone who says them. It's just a rabbit.
And thats when I hung up in tears. Had to go outside and have a cigarette and a cup of tea (even though I spilt most of it).
When I came back in, I found that she had called back to complain about me. As a result, I have a disciplinary on friday.
Really sorry about the rant guys, I just had to let off steam somewhere I knew would understand how I feel.
On a separate note, I had a chat with a lovely lady today too. Ended up talking about pets via car insurance (never really sure how it happens!) and she said that her son id looking for a bun......so naturally, I gave her this website and urged her to have an orphan bun. Told her a couple of books and gave her answers to some of her questions.
All in all a very strange day......

So sorry to hear this. I can understand why it made your blood boil. I think at the disciplinary, I'd just be very honest (explaining why it upset you so much) and just apologise.

I hate it when strangers start talking to me about rabbits - I always hear something I wish I hadn't. :(

sadly in a workplace they wont allow you to act like that but she sounds awfull and who can blame you for being upset :(

I really didn't mean to lose my temper, I just can't help it sometimes. Its strange cause in a face to face situation I'm ok, its in these kind of things that I just can't keep my cool.
I really don't know how rescuers do it.
You guys are amazing! I think Id just get arrested.
xx

You poor thing, that woman deserved a talking to!

At you disciplinery, I would explain why you found the situation traumatic, I personallly would not apologise, why should you?

You don't do people any favours by letting them think their disgusting behaviour is acceptable.

Hugs

FC xx

The reason I think an apology is in order is because it's within an insurance company, not an animal rescue type environment, and it wasn't an appropriate conversation to be having. I don't mean an apology to the woman, but to the person doing the disciplinary.

Don't get me wrong though, I totally understand how you felt and why you did what you did. Really hope Friday goes OK. x

I really didn't mean to lose my temper, I just can't help it sometimes. Its strange cause in a face to face situation I'm ok, its in these kind of things that I just can't keep my cool.
I really don't know how rescuers do it.
You guys are amazing! I think Id just get arrested.
xx

Question for you.

Are calls recorded? Have you got the ladys details? She admitted to you that she mis-treated her rabbits and then released one into a probable death. Shame you can't report her or something.

Hope it goes okay for you on Friday x

Question for you.

Are calls recorded? Have you got the ladys details? She admitted to you that she mis-treated her rabbits and then released one into a probable death. Shame you can't report her or something.

Hope it goes okay for you on Friday x

i really can see why you went ballistic.i would have done the same.
if the call was recorded, then im sure your manager will have the same
point of view but cos there has been a complaint, your manager has to be seen to be doing something about it, ie following it up.
Take the telling off on the chin.
Oh and btw, this woman is a :censored:and im surprised with her attitude shes thinking of pet insurance.
good luck.xxx

Unless they were recorded or someone overheard you and, unless you have already told a colleague what took place, I would shorten the story and give the version that the customer is exaggerating. I would not expect to tell the whole story and expect your bosses to understand your stance. They will be in business to make money and you could find yourself sacked. Possibly your bosses will too take the stance "its only a rabbit".

Good luck.

I very much sympathise but I think you will probably have to write a letter of appology or something similar. It sucks but you represent the corporate image of a company when you talk to a customer & you can't blow them out without repercussions, especially if the conversation was nothing to do with your company......the telephone call should have ended with "I want some pet insurance", "I'm afraid we don't offer that service at the moment but there are plenty of companies that do, your local vet may have some leaflets or you can use an online search engine". It's not a good idea to talk about things outside the business with clients because as you've found, they may have very different views to you and you have to bite your tounge & repeat "the customer is always right" in your head!

Unless the telephone converstation was recorded I would try and put yourself in the best light possible, be contrite, realise your mistake and offer to make amends to her.

Agree with ecudc, as upsetting as it must have been for you, at the end of the day they are paying you to do a job and if you have a go at a potential customer you must expect there to be repercussions. Hope they aren't too harsh on you.

What a nasty woman, sadly, I suspect many more stupid people have released their rabbits to the wild because they have they don't have conscience regarding their commitement to living creatures.

Sadly also, sometimes in life you can't lose your cool, although it happens when people say things that really get to our core. In a workplace, when a potential customer comes along, your employers don't want personal issues brought into your role.

This doesn't mean that it is right to neglect animals and behave in the way she has done, it just means that taking a breath and responding in a less 'ballistic' way might be better ;) I too think you should eat a bit of humble pie, but be true to your feelings. Exaplain in the disciplinary that this woman you spoke to had treated her animals applaingly and animal welfare charities would take a dim view of releasing a pet to the wild (to die!) Say also that it is an issue which you have strong feelings about and your anger was based on a discussion about animal cruelty. I do think you should stress that you have also got aural evidence of animal neglect and cruelty relating to this person....however, you understand that you should have not been so reactionary and it won't occur again.

Although the woman completely deserved what you said to her, its not worth losing your job over. I really hope that doesnt happen to you.

If she was only after pet insurance which you don't do anyway technically you haven't lost your company a sale so if you explain your sorry you were unproffesional she just upset you with what she said as its against everything you stand for hopefully they shouldn't be too hard on you.

What an awful woman. But don't let her lose you your job, how maddening would that be losing your job because of a scumbag like that.

Back