• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Surprise finding at the vets today!

I took my little boy Humphrey to the vet today just to get him registered and get his nails cut...

It was his first full examination and I got the surprise of my life to find out that my little 'boy' is not a boy at all....but a fluffy little girl!!

Came to a total shock to me as he was sold to me as a boy! Its strange...I always thought that she would make a gorgeous little girl!!!!!!

Well, SHE is now booked in for her jabs and to be spayed in a couple of weeks, got a shock at the price as well....its £65 for the jabs and £93 for the spay!! She's worth it though :D so it looks like she needs a husband rather than wife!! :lol:

Oh yeah...and she HATED the vet, she wiggled, growled, snapped and simply refused to let him look at her teeth...she made quite the scene...a little drama queen!

Roxanne

So what's her new name?! :lol:

I'm not sure....I may stick with Humps....although it may move to Honey as I feel that Humphrey is a boys name no matter how much people tell me it can be used for both girls and boys!! :lol:

I'm still drastically in love with your rescues Chipmunk!! Was showing them to people at my work today!

Hehe yes I've had two now (both girls to boys) go through name changes... I had a Holly go to Olly, and then an Ella go to Elliot, I think Humphrey is a boys name too.. but I am very funny about names like that... see I think treacle is a boys name... though I know lots of people call girls that too! :oops::lol:

I took my little boy Humphrey to the vet today just to get him registered and get his nails cut...

It was his first full examination and I got the surprise of my life to find out that my little 'boy' is not a boy at all....but a fluffy little girl!!

Came to a total shock to me as he was sold to me as a boy! Its strange...I always thought that she would make a gorgeous little girl!!!!!!

Well, SHE is now booked in for her jabs and to be spayed in a couple of weeks, got a shock at the price as well....its £65 for the jabs and £93 for the spay!! She's worth it though :D so it looks like she needs a husband rather than wife!! :lol:

Oh yeah...and she HATED the vet, she wiggled, growled, snapped and simply refused to let him look at her teeth...she made quite the scene...a little drama queen!

Roxanne

Gosh! how much for a spey?

Any pictures of the little girlie herself?

Gosh! how much for a spey?

Any pictures of the little girlie herself?

Hello!

The spey is £93 itself :shock: the jabs are another £65 on top of that!

Sure, I love showing her off....here is humps/honey :lol:

2wlzszm.jpg

2nlb8xv.jpg

I really need to upload some new ones!

Roxanne x

that happened with my flemish giant. I bought a 8 week old doe to bond with my giant papalion buck and when I took her for her jabs was told she was a he. He had huge plums too!

Well, SHE is now booked in for her jabs and to be spayed in a couple of weeks, got a shock at the price as well....its £65 for the jabs and £93 for the spay!!

Have you tried asking vets near you for other quotes? My vet charges £65 for a spay, and I think Myxi and VHD jabs are about £13-15 each.

Oooooooo bet that was a bit of a shock ! I think the name def. needs some editing/changing for a little girly bun. :D My Mint (with us for 3 weeks now) also had his first bunny check-up yesterday, pronounced very healthy after having the full MOT.

Have you tried asking vets near you for other quotes? My vet charges £65 for a spay, and I think Myxi and VHD jabs are about £13-15 each.

Most of the prices I've seen quoted around the country seem to be averaging about the above.

I'd expect to pay £65 for a spay and about £15 for each jab.

Good luck with the op and I guess you are suddenly having to get it into your head that you're searching for a buck now after trying to find the right doe for your boy!!

:shock: Have you told the place where you bought her? If they are miss-sexing rabbits then eventually someone's going to end up with an unwanted litter :shock:

Those costs are quite high, but do you get the feeling the vets know what they are doing with rabbits? If they know what they are doing then it's probably worth sticking with them rather than trying to do it on the cheap with a vet that might not know about rabbits.

oh bless! i like honey! i would ask around for cheaper prices,my vaccs are £12 and jellys spay was £40

-chipmunk k - my mums work rabbit (people with disabilities) is called Treacle and shes a girl, but her boyf is called Cookie n i think that sounds girly

Hi everyone :wave:

Thanks for the messages! It sure was a shock and i have to keep reminding myself that he is now a she lol! Although ever since i've started saying things like "here princess" or "ooohhh pretttttty girl!" she has been alot more receptive of me and has even been coming for cuddles!! (still thinks my bed is her litter tray though!)

I think a name change is indeed in order, perhaps either Humpy (hehe) or Honey, she is very golden like honey! My friends think I have mentally scared her after calling her a boy for so long!!!

My vets prices are a tad steed by the looks of it, the break down is around £16.00 for the VHD and £60 for the Myxi jab.

I did ask them the questions recommneded on this site and they let me know that rabbits are the third most popular visitor to their practice and he does about 4-5 speys a week.

I may ask around though as see if there are any others in the Edinburgh area, if not, money isnt an object for my little humps/Honey! :lol:

My goodness £50 for a myxi jab, im not sure how they can justify that.

Such a cute bunny though :love: I think Humpers would be a good name :lol:

:lol: same happened with teegs bought him as a she was told he was a she by the vet too wasnt until she went in to be speyed they found out his little secret! :lol:

how aout humphretta :lol::lol::lol:

£60 a myxi jab :shock: think mine are about £15 per injection :shock:

*passes out at price of mixi jab* Mine was £13! and get my booster free cos i got it done in the vaccination amnesty month! I wonder if theyll do another one of those? :D

Gosh :shock: £60 for a myxi jab. I really would shop around and ask the same questions aswell. VHD & Myxi at my vets are both £11.50 each Spay £40. Oooo congrats on your girlie bunny :)

Back