• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will the hutch be big enough

Blueslady

Young Bun
Can anyone help me I'm going to adopt a rabbit I've had a home check but have been told that my 4ft hutch is not big enough cause it hasn't got a run, I've just been looking on ebay for a hutch with a run have found one but not to sure if it will be big enough the measurements are L 48" W 20" H 34" she will be in there for about 3 weeks till I get her spayed then she will be living in a 6ft by 4ft hutch with a 6ft by 4ft run with my buck do you think it will be big enough.

:wave: You're really best off asking the rescue you hope to adopt from - they will all have different standards and it would be awful for you to buy something but then be told 'no'. It's probably quite a difficult one for rescues to judge - because your intention is to bond them but they probably have to consider the fact that it might not work and you are too attached to give her back, and they wouldn't want her permanently in a 4ft hutch.

Isn't there another way round it - for example can you pay them to get the bun spayed before you bring her home, so that she gets bonded straight away and you don't need an extra hutch? Or maybe someone could lend you something if it's just for a few weeks?

I'm not to sure if they will do that for me, I have just emailed Lucy but not to sure she online at the mo,it was Lucy that said I have to get a hutch with a run before I can have her.

someone has just out bidded me so I'm going to wait till I can contact Lucy to see what she says, thanks for your help
Bren.

As a temporary home it should be okay, but as said above we can't speak for the rescue, so definately check.

You implied above that the size of your 4ft hutch would be okay if it had a permanent run attached. Can't you just buy a seperate run and attach it to the existing 4ft hutch? A few pieces of wood and screws and you should be able to make it work :)

Is the boy bunny already neutered as it's quite possible to bond an unspayed female with a neutered male (he must have been 8 weeks from neuter though to be infertile) - but it rarely works the other way around, with a neutered female and unneutered male, as he will probably hump her so much she'll start fighting when she's had enough of it.

I would say regards hutch size the hutch on ebay isn't deep enough or tall enough - if it was 2x4 and 40 high then maybe but the thing is she MUST be kept indoors after her spay and nursed intensively for a few days - it could be the difference between life and death for her, so you will need indoor accomodation for her somewhere warm too, like a dog crate.

Also if she's cooped up in a 2x4 hutch over run she will not be getting enough exercise to be healthy - her guts are liable to grind to a halt without a good run about twice a day, so ideally pen off an area of patio she can run on for half an hour twice a day, just to stretch her legs, or as she will need to be in the house post spay, you could just give her a pen indoors from the start maybe?

Muffin is the rabbit I want to adopt

Shes gorgeous :love: I would agree with elve... the hutch has to be a certain height i believe... has to be high enough for her to stand on her back legs :) Good luck, hope everything goes well xXx

Yes Flopsy is neutered he was neutered on the 19th aug thats why I have to buy a bigger hutch to put Muffin in till its ok for them to go together Flopsy is in a 6ft x 24"deep x 24" Tall hutch + 6ft x 4ft x 20" Tall run at the mo but I do have a 4ft by 2ft hutch but I don't have a run.

It might be cheaper and more useful if you make a pen big enough to contain the 2x4 hutch you already have - would that be possible? :)

so did lucy say your hutch is too small... or did she say you need a run?

I doubt any rescue would rehome if you didnt have a run :(

How much money are you looking to spend... just looking on ebay now xXx

Yes I was thinking of making a run for her I have a room indoors which is 5ft 8inches (W) 4ft 1inches (L) will this be ok for her to live in with the 4ft by 2ft hutch with a run attached.

Lucy did say to get a run but I thought if I brought a new hutch with a run underneath that would be ok.

Yes I was thinking of making a run for her I have a room indoors which is 5ft 8inches (W) 4ft 1inches (L) will this be ok for her to live in with the 4ft by 2ft hutch with a run attached.

Oops sorry :oops: Didnt realise she was going to be indoors xXx

Yes I agree think it would be best to get my hubby to make one his really good at making things will go out tomorrow & get the wood & wire mesh a 4ft by 4ft run should be ok won't it:)

Living in the room you mean? she would be better just having the run of the room and a dog crate for night time, if you can rabbit proof the electrics and make it chew-proof - it sounds a good size to me but I wouldn't use anything smaller than that :)

Back