• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Becoming a fosterer

Jade950

Alpha Buck
Hiya, just to ask a few questions about fostering rabbits:
1.How do you go about setting up for fostering?
2.Do the animal homes that the animlas have come from supply things for you?
3.Do you have to be over 18 to foster?
Thankyou :D xx

It will depend mostly on the rescue that you foster for. I think you would probably have to provide the hutch etc unless the rescue has spare ones donated by someone.

I would imagine that you would have to be over 18 however, or at least your parents would have to convince them that they will be fully responsible.

Hiya, just to ask a few questions about fostering rabbits:
1.How do you go about setting up for fostering?
2.Do the animal homes that the animlas have come from supply things for you?
3.Do you have to be over 18 to foster?
Thankyou :D xx

Hiya Jade, i foster for walsall rspca... i havent had to pay a penny for anything, they provide everything from the hutches and runs to the food and vets bills :) The only thing you have to be able to give is love and attention. I would contact your local rspca branch to find out more, theyre always in need of people. However... not too sure about the age thing, though you can always ask :)

when i looked into fostering before (i never did for a rescue in the end) you need to be quite local as they often need you to use thier vets and makes it easier for peopler who come to meet the buns. you need to have transport to pick up and drop off the buns and take to vets when ness. when i inquired it was suggested that i would need a minimum 5ft by 2ftx2ft hutch or a 6ft one or shed dependant on what i would be fostering. sometimes its a pregnant doe with kits and sometimes its a bun who needs special meds or extra time and sometimes just someone who has been in rescue a long time. the main thing is that you have the time for them. i offered to the rescues that i would buy hutch /run or use my existing one and that i would pay for food and bedding etc but that i would need the vet bills covered as i figured if i took in say a pair of buns and they got rehomed in a month...say a pair every couple of months even i couldnt afford to nueter all buns and vacc and any medical treatment. not sure bout age you need to be. i would think over 18 but some may say over 16 if you can prove you will love and look after them and have your parent s to back you up maybe you could go to local rescue centre and help with cleaning out etc first so they get to know you?

Hiya thanks for that found that very useful! Thats the only problem i live fairly far out, however im sure my mum could help. I was looking at maybe volunteering on a saturday or something for cleaning or just general helping out.

Hiya thanks for that found that very useful! Thats the only problem i live fairly far out, however im sure my mum could help. I was looking at maybe volunteering on a saturday or something for cleaning or just general helping out.

Offering a rescue some of your time to help clean out and stuff is a brilliant idea, I have had people coming helping me and they are worth their weight in gold, it is a really big help:D

Yeah, its all the little things that take the time isnt it! Just want to do something useful :D hehe

Back