• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bleeding hock

cheryl21

Warren Scout
I went into feed the buns this morning and Bud's hock was bleeding.

I check him regularly and feel guilty cos I mustn't have been looking hard enough cos I haven't noticed it before.

Anyway, there was a small amount of blood in one place in the hutch. I brought him in and bathed it with salt water (as the vet has told me to do previously with Stella) - Is there anything else I can do for him?

I started a new job today and was able to come home at dinner and check him and he was ok - I couldn't evn see where it was bleeding from.

Got back tonight and have checked again, I can see a small red lump which I presume is a 'sore hock'.

What do I do to make it better? And does anyone have ideas for bedding? They have their hutch in the outhouse and are free to roam all day -I have rubber matting on the floor of the outhouse cos its concrete - i thought it would be good for them.

Please help as I still havent got on top of Stella's feet either :(

Hi

Please dont feel bad, I didnt notice this on my bunny either and im so lucky it happened to bleed while we were at the vets because if it had happened at home I wouldnt have known what to do. I always thought I was giving my buns a proper check over everyday and do you think I ever thought to look at the bottom of their feet :(

Ive been washing Beau's feet twice a day with salt water, and applying Flamazine which my vet prescribed twice a day and he had a course of baytril. I have cut vetbed to size and put that in Beau's hutch and in the house ive been putting down pieces of vetbed and kind of fencing him in with a puppy pen so he cannot go on any hard floor. He also has cotton sheets to sit on

I dont even know if im doing it right because they dont seem to be getting better to me x

I know what you mean - Stella's dont look any better either and it was ages ago I took her. The last time the vet said that if they're not hurting her, don't mess with them.

Stella is quite a sickly rab, she has bad teeth, and had a lump on her leg - she's really been in the wars but Bud has only been pooly once and I'm almost convinced it was his myxi vaccination that caused that.

I really dont know what to do.

The thing is - I could try the vet bed but I'm not sure if they would mess on it. If I put straw or hay anywhere in their hutch other than the litter trays, the pee and poo all over!!! Stella used to be a good girl but I think Bud is showing her bad habits!!!

Is the vet bed washable - and is it safe for them to eat? I only ask cos Bud loves to chew his hutch (and anything else I put in there:roll:).

None of mine chew their vetbed but I know lots of buns on here do, I think they really do need to be on soft bedding all the time in order for it to heal though. I stick my vetbed in the washing machine, but my lot are litter trained so dont pee on it

I just place hay in willow baskets or actually in the tray

Beau needs his teeth sorting and ive been told to wait until his feet have healed and im getting impatient now because I just want him better :oops:

All I can suggest is keeping him on something soft really and cleaning and applying cream, can you get some Flamazine from the vet? Or I wonder if something like aloe vera gel would help?

I could try. I'm wondering will it may him poorly if he licks it off his feet. He has a sensitive tum!!!

Don't they cause so much worry!!!

Sudacrem is very good for sore hocks.Mine tends to lick it off and it has never done any harm.

Back