• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am going to volunteer at my local RSPCA shelter and want to know -

senatorvass

Warren Scout
How am I going to deal with the unbelievable urge I know I will have to take all the animals home.

and How am I going to cope with the sadness.

I am really really keen on doing it, I have the ability and the time and the will and the desire so nothing will stop me. But I know its going to be hard.

Hiya hun :wave: xXx I foster bunnies for the rspca... i know its not totally the same as helping out at one of their shelters but i guess its similar :) The thing i always try to remind myself is by fostering im helping say 10 bunnies a year rather than just adopting one. It will be hard but it will also be very rewarding knowing youve helped animals in need :) Hope this helps a bit xXx Let us know how you get on

Hiya hun :wave: xXx I foster bunnies for the rspca... i know its not totally the same as helping out at one of their shelters but i guess its similar :) The thing i always try to remind myself is by fostering im helping say 10 bunnies a year rather than just adopting one. It will be hard but it will also be very rewarding knowing youve helped animals in need :) Hope this helps a bit xXx Let us know how you get on

Thank you very much. That is a great thing to remember (helping 10 instead of 1) I will think about it a lot I am sure. I was wanting to foster as well but I havent the space/money. Well when I move I will have the space but I dont know about the money! What is it like?

I am looking forward to helping with the animals - I really cant wait to get stuck in! I got my bunnies from an RSPCA fosterer - and my two new ones are coming from a friend who rescued a pregnant rabbit.

Thank you very much. That is a great thing to remember (helping 10 instead of 1) I will think about it a lot I am sure. I was wanting to foster as well but I havent the space/money. Well when I move I will have the space but I dont know about the money! What is it like?

I am looking forward to helping with the animals - I really cant wait to get stuck in! I got my bunnies from an RSPCA fosterer - and my two new ones are coming from a friend who rescued a pregnant rabbit.

It shouldnt cost you a penny to foster for the rspca, they provide everything you need from the hutches and runs to the food and vets bills :) All you need to do is give them a loving and secure home :)

Its something to think about for when you do have the space :) Its very rewarding xXx What animals are at the shelter you want to volunteer at?? Is it just bunnies and guineas or dogs/cats aswell?? xXx

It shouldnt cost you a penny to foster for the rspca, they provide everything you need from the hutches and runs to the food and vets bills :) All you need to do is give them a loving and secure home :)

Its something to think about for when you do have the space :) Its very rewarding xXx What animals are at the shelter you want to volunteer at?? Is it just bunnies and guineas or dogs/cats aswell?? xXx

Wow that is very exciting I thought you had to pay for all the hutches, runs, food, vet bills etc and obviously I cant afford all that so I had ruled it out. But I am happy to do it if the main expenses are covered! We are moving in the next couple of months so I will see if we have the garden space to do it - I would be very keen as I am just silly over animals (surprise surprise!) and want to do something useful that I can be proud of.

Here is the website for the shelter I will be working at, there are loads of animals there! http://rspcaessex.org.uk/index.htm

Hope that link works.

How am I going to deal with the unbelievable urge I know I will have to take all the animals home.

and How am I going to cope with the sadness.

I am really really keen on doing it, I have the ability and the time and the will and the desire so nothing will stop me. But I know its going to be hard.

I know what you mean, I keep thinking about all the animals I saw at the last shelter I went to :(

I'll be really interested to hear all about it, as it's my local rescue too. I must confess, I've never been there, as I dread to think how many animals I'd want to bring home!! :oops::shock:

I will post with updates on here to tell you about it! I know what you mean I have always avoided going to these places. But you know when you feel something fits perfectly, like the perfect shoe. I just feel right now I should do this and I am really happy I have the oppportunity. :)

I can't wait to hear all about it. :) Oh and let me know if they have mice (but don't tell the OH that I said that... :oops::lol:)

I can't wait to hear all about it. :) Oh and let me know if they have mice (but don't tell the OH that I said that... :oops::lol:)

I cant make arrangements for my first day until Thursday (they are closed on Wednesdays and it was just decided upon yesterday/today) but as soon as I go (I would have thought this weekend) I will give you a report! Sorry to your OH but they do have mice I saw them on their website! Do you have the link?

I can't see any mice on the link you posted. :? A lot of that looks quite out of date too. :?

Thanks! :) Although I'm kind of hoping they don't have any at the moment - am a bit full! :oops::lol:

Ooooh how exciting - I'd be really interested to know how you find it. I've often considered contacting them to volunteer as it's quite close to me too, but I've sort of got whooshed along with life and haven't got round to it :oops:

I went there once about 10 years ago when I was looking for a companion for my first 'adult' bun Fluffybunny, they had loads of buns at the centre even back then :cry:

Ooooh how exciting - I'd be really interested to know how you find it. I've often considered contacting them to volunteer as it's quite close to me too, but I've sort of got whooshed along with life and haven't got round to it :oops:

I went there once about 10 years ago when I was looking for a companion for my first 'adult' bun Fluffybunny, they had loads of buns at the centre even back then :cry:

I shall give you a full report! Am PMing you about Stardust anyway!

Back