• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

which hutch is better for 2 giants

xShellx

Alpha Buck
Thistle hall which is 2 levels which I allready have.

Or I have seen one which is 5ft8 by 2 ft and is one level.

I have both a Thistle Hall (upstairs partition removed) and HH 6x2 combo. I personally think the Thistle Hall offers more space than the 6x2 but I do doubt if either are big enough for 2 giants. I would be tempted to go for a shed instead.

for two giants you would be looking at a shed, both of them must be able to lay flat out/sprawl at the same time, and must be able to stand on their hindle legs without hitting their head / ears.

I don't think they would be able to do either of these in hutches that you have mentioned.

I know how you feel though, there is no definate answer, but the bigger the rabbit the bigger the hutch and the bigger the run.

Hope that helps

You can't put giants in a hutch because they would be too big for it and you would be risking them damaging their backs, you would need a shed for giants

I have both a Thistle Hall (upstairs partition removed) and HH 6x2 combo. I personally think the Thistle Hall offers more space than the 6x2 but I do doubt if either are big enough for 2 giants. I would be tempted to go for a shed instead.

do you have a photo? They have access to a run see photo

therun007.jpg

for two giants you would be looking at a shed, both of them must be able to lay flat out/sprawl at the same time, and must be able to stand on their hindle legs without hitting their head / ears.

I don't think they would be able to do either of these in hutches that you have mentioned.

I know how you feel though, there is no definate answer, but the bigger the rabbit the bigger the hutch and the bigger the run.

Hope that helps

they can leave the huch as and when they please. Just pepper is getting a bit big for the ramp. so I was thinking that a 1 level hutch would be better as more floor space. Also my piggies could have thisel hall

Last edited:
I have pairs of lionheads in our hutches - the Thistle Hall is in a shed so the buns have shed space as well.

If your buns are just using the hutch as a shelter then I would go with the 6x2 as the ramp I would imagine is too small for a giant long term.

But if you are shutting the buns in the hutch at all -overnight? - then I do think a shed is better for them.

I love you run by the way, I would love walk in runs for ours.

Last edited:
I have pairs of lionheads in our hutches - the Thistle Hall is in a shed so the buns have shed space as well.

If your buns are just using the hutch as a shelter then I would go with the 6x2 as the ramp I would imagine is too small for a giant long term.

But if you are shutting the buns in the hutch at all -overnight? - then I do think a shed is better for them.

I love you run by the way, I would love walk in runs for ours.

I shut them in overnight at the mo. Im going to put some extra mesh around the run to stop them puting there head through the mesh as a have foxes in the garden. As soon as I have done that they will have 24 hour access

workboxingandrabbits186.jpg

I shut them in overnight at the mo. Im going to put some extra mesh around the run to stop them puting there head through the mesh as a have foxes in the garden. As soon as I have done that they will have 24 hour access

workboxingandrabbits186.jpg

goodness i wouldnt let them do that what if they get stuck and choke? sorry not mean to be critical the run size is fab and i think if being shut in then they need a small shed...

I have only seen him do that once. I have bought some fine mesh which im going to put all the way around so they cant do that. They are shut in last thing at night which is around 12pm and let out at 7 or 8 in the morning. I feed them late at night so they always run into the hutch for there dinner.

Last edited:
how could I attach a shed to the run? I dont want a shed inside as this would take up to much space.

The run was £110 of ebay. The seller paid £300 for it but her rabbits where mini lops and could escape through the bars.

I have only seen him do that once. I have bought some fine mesh which im going to put all the way around so they cant do that. They are shut in last thing at night which is around 12pm and let out at 7 or 8 in the morning. I feed them late at night so they always run into the hutch for there dinner.

oh ok sounds good :) sorry i was just a little concerned didnt mean to over react!!! xx naughty bunsters!

that would depend on the dimentions of the run.

Personally, I would have the shed with either the back or side up against the fencing close to where the hutch is already, then take a piece of shed out, a piece of fencing out (big enough for the rabbits) and make a bit of a secure run in between. That way it is only a small patch up job if you wanted to change for any reason. Again where the shed is placed is dependent one the size and space in your garden.

Id do this so I had access to the shed through the door to clean. And keep the access door the the run open for the same reason too. Inside the shed I would but shelves to increase floor space.

A hutch / shed is not just where rabbits sleep, but also where they stay and play on wet, cold days. I think many people forget about this.

I would put a single story hutch inside the run, as most ramps are not suitable for giant bunnies. Happy Hutch Company do a single story hutch which is 6 ft by 2.5 ft by 2.5 ft. That is the minimum size I would use during the night. But then there will be days with lousy weather, too, so you may be better off with a dog kennel and run, or a shed with a little side door and connection to your existing run.

Back