• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Changing colour through a moult

Leanne

Wise Old Thumper
How many of you have had a rabbit that has had quite a drastic coat colour change?
Im asking as the house rabbit ive been fostering since March has now got a huge saddle of dark brown on his back since moulting :shock:
He is a lionhead and is predominantly white with a light golden beige back but with a dark splodge on his nose and his ears are dark brown too. He now has a dark brown saddle!

I told his owner last night and I hope she doesn't think ive switched him!!!! :shock: :lol:

Ive never had a bun change colour like this so not sure if its common?!

Can happen a lot..especially if bun spends time outside..we have Diggory who at present is half yellow:shock:..he is moulting to be siamese sable
and Blackberry who is a black bun..has rusting halfway up his body which is also moulting out

Yellow?!? :shock: :lol:

Ive had slight changes in colour before but such a drastic change was :shock:

Thanks for letting me know its common! I did think maybe its because he is a youngster and I only take on rabbits over 5 usually! Apart from my latest ones!

Yep yellow! !not clear in this pic but it isn't brown..or ginger..it is yellow
Diggory.jpg

Aw he is gorgeous :love:

Loving the half and half colouring!

My black buns often go a whiskey colour and Dallas my blue boy gets flecks of brown in his coat after his summer moult! :D

Bailey is changing colour too - he is going from a sandy brown colour to a lovely deep golden brown - and the difference in the feel is amazing - his new coat is soooooooo soft.

His head has changed and its now spreading over his shoulders and he has a stripe down his back.

I don't notice him going pale, but I def do going dark.

Bluebell my grey lop has turned quite brown over the last few months- I asked the vet about it as she went for her myxi last week and he said it was a moult- I thought she was just aging!

I got her this week last year- and she was definitely pure grey, so she wasn't moulting this time last year.

Rocky changes colour all the time.
This time last year
DSCF0022-1.jpg

now
21.png

Not great example pics, but his body used to be all white and is now kinds snudged with brown, his feet have got lighter and he's got more colour on his face. :?

Buster moulted a couple of months ago...he went from being grey with quite a lot of brown in his fur (I thought he was maybe an isabella ) to a gorgeous blue colour ,it was quite a dramatic change.

Is he likely to go back to being brownish in the winter?

miffy started of gray then he turned a little brown and now his like a sandy colour but only on his upper body. My cousin calls him the go faster bunny because he looks lke he has go faster strips on his back from all the different colours.

Life would be so easier if i could put photos on here......Im soooo rubbish. :lol:

Back