• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

10 things you ask yourself before getting a bun

Dont shoot the messenger - This isnt my article!

1. Can you afford to:
Buy a large cage, outside run, food, bedding, litter and toys?
Have your rabbit neutered and vaccinated?
Pay the vet bills if your rabbit becomes ill?
Board your rabbit or pay someone to look after it when you go on holiday?

2. Can you spare a few hours every day to keep your rabbit company or are you willing to get two rabbits as company for each other. You need to get an already bonded pair or two babies from the same litter but they must be neutered at 3- 4 months for a male and 5-6 months for a female. If not, females will fight when they become adult and of course a male and female will have babies. Two males will also fight when they reach maturity if not neutered.

3 If you have children, are you willing to take full responsibility for looking the rabbit yourself, teaching your children not to pick up and carry the rabbit around and to quiet around it?

4. If your rabbit is not to be kept permanently in the house, do you have a shed to keep it in? It really is not suitable to keep a rabbit outside in a hutch.

5 Can you provide a large a large escape proof run for outside exercise — under supervision?

6 Are you willing to get to know your rabbit at floor level? As rabbits are prey animals, they hate being lifted off the ground. At best they will be terrified. At worst they will scratch and bite or may fall and break their backs.

7. Do you have a quiet, smoke free room without loud TV or music (the bass is very stressful for rabbits’ sensitive ears) to keep you rabbit in or let it exercise in. Also where then is no expensive carpet, pieces of furniture or wallpaper to worry about?

8. Are you willing to bunny-proof any rooms where the rabbit has access to eg cover or block off all electrical / telephone cables and make some compromises in you furniture arrangements?

9 Are you willing to do more cleaning than you would do without a rabbit, including litter-training accidents?

10 Are you willing to take on responsibility for the rabbit for its lifetime — even if it becomes aggressive, chronically ill or if you move house?

NB. Taking on a rabbit is the equivalent of taking on a dog or cat. A rabbit is not a disposable commodity — It can live for anything up to 14 years. It is your responsibility to find out everything you need to know before getting a rabbit.

This mini article was from here and I was posting it so people will think before getting a rabbit.

Last edited:
Some of the language makes me think it must be from the US, probably an area where they have much colder winters than the UK.

The rest of it is good advice though :)

Looks like the site is UK based, the actual content is hosted on a .co.uk address which the .info one points to.

Was it this point you were referring to?
4. If your rabbit is not to be kept permanently in the house, do you have a shed to keep it in? It really is not suitable to keep a rabbit outside in a hutch.

If so, I don't think it's meant to be about temperature, think it's more about space though not expressed very clearly.

I would agree that certainly most shop-bought hutches are unsuitable for keeping rabbits in. Large hutches (6ft+) have comparable floor space to sheds but are few and far between.

A great article though! Thanks for posting!

Looks like the site is UK based, the actual content is hosted on a .co.uk address which the .info one points to.

Was it this point you were referring to?

If so, I don't think it's meant to be about temperature, think it's more about space though not expressed very clearly.

Well whereever the author is, I disagree with them, as they clearly think that all hutches are unsuitable.

Not all shop bought hutches are unsuitable, the biggest ones sold at P@H can be suitable if paired with a big run.

A lot of people make their own hutches too and a statement like that might put people off. :?

Well whereever the author is, I disagree with them, as they clearly think that all hutches are unsuitable.

Not all shop bought hutches are unsuitable, the biggest ones sold at P@H can be suitable if paired with a big run.

A lot of people make their own hutches too and a statement like that might put people off. :?

I agree. That point would be far better giving an indication of the actual size required (though this is pretty controversial it seems). You're last point is very well made. I like the idea that more people are tailoring their rabbit housing based on the space they have.

I'd also say that point 5. could do with rewording as having an escape proof run is only one part of the issue. You also need to keep predators out which is a different consideration in my view - and this also applies to sheds.

Definitely plently of good points there though.

No guns being fired here, I think we've all said that it's good :). Be happy that people have found the points interesting enough to discuss, it is after all a forum :wave:.

I think its good, and will make people aware that rabbits are a prmanent pet and not something you discard after a few months/years...although I disagree with the bit about hutches, and with saying that ALL rabbits are "terrified" of being picked up.

Back