• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should i try bonding them?

H Maughan

Mama Doe
I currently have 3 pairs of rabbits each living separately. But I would really like to try and bond 2 of the pairs. These pairs consist of 2 does, Lottie and Sally and a buck and a doe Warren and Megan. My reason for wanting to bond them is that i currently have them sharing a run. The girls get it at night and warren and megan get it all day.
But my main reason for being a little worried about bonding them is that Warren is 7 years old and rather on the elderly side. I'd be worried about him getting injured in any scuffles that will inevitably break out. And as he isn't as young as what he used to be i'm worried either the stress or an injury would kill him.
What do you guys think? Should i keep them as they are? or try bonding them?
Thanks Helen xx

You could try introducing them in a neutral area and see how they react to each other, there might not be any scuffles. If it does get too rough or you feel it is too stressfull for them you can just separate them again, stand close to them and maybe get someone to help so it is easier to split them up.
I have tried to bond two male/female pairs, there was no scuffles but I felt that one of the males was not happy so I separated them again. At least you will know you have tried even if it doesn't work out.

Well bonding all 3 is a possibility in the future. But because warren is on the old side (he's still eating and running around albeit a little wobbly) I thought it would be good to have 3 girls looking after him and then the bonding will be all over when he leaves us, as i don't intend getting anymore bunnies, as much as i love them, i'm now at university and i have to leave them for my mum to look after. I still have another 2 years until i will have my own place. But if the bonding is all out of the way then megan can settle in with sally and lottie. All 6 together would be nice. They have a real bunnytopia, 3 storey and a 2 storey hutch and 2 big runs that could be made into one.
Unfortunately i have to return to uni pretty soon so i need to get crackin with the bonding soon.
I'll give them a go together and see what happens. Thanks
Helen xx

Back