• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A couple of questions for those who know about rabbit breeds

Charys

Mama Doe
Hi there ! Thanks in advance if you are reading this. I've had my bunny for 3 weeks now and a few thoughts have occured to me. He is brown agouti, and I'm told he is a cross breed ('English' and Dutch mix). However, where has his agouti Brown come from, whenever I look up English breeds they appear to be brown and white speckled. Are there other 'English' breeds ? Following from this question....would anyone like to hazard a guess at his potential adult size ?

Awwwww what a sweetie :love: Sorry I dont know what breed he is :oops:

Here is my agouti lad :)

DSC09998.jpg

Agouti is my favourite :love: x

Ahhh yours is BEAUTIFUL, he has lots more white on him than mine. Brown agouti is my fave. too ! :love: This picture was taken when we first got him, so he is bigger and plumping out more now. I know he is mixed breed, but quite what mix,maybe someone might know ?

He is gorgeous but he is a crossbreed of a few different types I would say, I have a half wild rabbit and he is the spit of yours:D

He reminds me of my bun Bo:

017.jpg

No idea what she is! someone had released her in the wild, she was lucky she was recognised as a domestic bun, as I think she looks similar to a wild bunny.

What's interesting is that she has just given birth, and we have no idea who the dad was - could have happened when she was in the wild or before she was released - so looking forward to seeing what the babies grow up to be!!

Dutches can come in aguti-colors, not sure about english but I think maybe they can too.
I've seen dutches in madagaskar, harlequin and aguti colors, in Norway at least they are approved in any color, as long as they have the typical "Dutch-marking".

As for solid colors I don't know how the dutch-gene works but when you breed two spotted bunnies you get 50% spotted, 25% nearly all white and 25% solid color. :) In which case you might get a purebred English checkered who looks nothing like one:lol:

Last edited:
Squizz ....She does indeed look quite wild...as you say, lucky someone realised that she wasn't. She does have an unusual face though, with a kind of longer coat down her nose and over her eyes, like a cute hat with ears ontop :D maybe that helped ? I would love to see the baby pictures, when theya re at the stage of having fur coats - could be fascinating.

ZakuraRAbbit - I'd not thought of the Agouti dutch as being a possibility. I guess it is incredibly hard to make a judgement as he could be many generations mixed breed and this is not the first generation. What is an English chequered ?

This is Oliver, He was taken into my vets as he had been attacked by an alsation dog.
Oliver.jpg

How have you worked out that he is half wild rabbit ? I think he looks lighter than mine, but already Mint's coat is changing and I agree his structure and face look very similar.

his colour looks almost sable rather than normal agouti - sables get that mauve eye thing too...
My bunny Beauty is this odd sable/agouti colour too:

k-1.jpg

and this is her next to an agouti Dutch, Gaius
m-1.jpg

That's it!!!!...Beauty's face looks the same as my Bun ! That could be Mint, only much bigger, the dark nose, the dark tipped ears, the slightly lighter shade around the eye...everything. I'll get a head picture from the same angle later to make a comparison. So, some sable in there too, possibly some agouti. Ey, who knows ? :D So has Beauty grown the size of a Dutch ?

That's it!!!!...Beauty's face looks the same as my Bun ! That could be Mint, only much bigger, the dark nose, the dark tipped ears, the slightly lighter shade around the eye...everything. I'll get a head picture from the same angle later to make a comparison. So, some sable in there too, possibly some agouti. Ey, who knows ? :D So has Beauty grown the size of a Dutch ?

Beauty is larger than a dutch - she's quite a big bunny :D

Your bunny is not Agouti, hes Steel. (Clue is that Agoutis have white bellies, steels don't.)

You can get Steel English and Steel Dutch so he could well be a cross without any white bits. Just enjoy him as ahandsome mix-breed :)

Can't hazard as to what size he will be but hes not going to be small!

Oh great, thanks for that informative reply. I adore him regardless of his background, he is beautiful from the tip of his nose to the tip of his tail. I was just interested as to what a 'person in the know' thought his background was (and you are clearly in the know :D). He is so gorgeous, funny and good humoured !!!

Back