• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unexpected vet bills

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
Really feel the need to bring this to everyones attention, just to remind people to please put money away/ensure you have access to a large amount of it, in case unexpected vets bills do crop up. I have all my animals insured, work full time and don't have a family/household bills etc to pay, so never thought I'd be in this position. Because I have to pay upfront before claiming on the insurance, I am really in the sh** with money at the moment. I have drained my savings account, dont have a penny to my name, am overdrawn and owe shedloads of money to family & friends. Its one of those things that always niggles you, but you never actually think will happen. Then it does :roll: Pleeease please be prepared for things like this to happen folks :) XX

Edited to add: Oh, and btw when I say large amounts I do mean a decent amount of money - I've paid out well over a grand in the past few weeks

I was only thinking about this the other week when I finally took the plunge and insured all my buns. I was putting £30 a month away but I'm sure that would not have gone far if the worst happened.

Wise advice.

Really feel the need to bring this to everyones attention, just to remind people to please put money away/ensure you have access to a large amount of it, in case unexpected vets bills do crop up. I have all my animals insured, work full time and don't have a family/household bills etc to pay, so never thought I'd be in this position. Because I have to pay upfront before claiming on the insurance, I am really in the sh** with money at the moment. I have drained my savings account, dont have a penny to my name, am overdrawn and owe shedloads of money to family & friends. Its one of those things that always niggles you, but you never actually think will happen. Then it does :roll: Pleeease please be prepared for things like this to happen folks :) XX

Edited to add: Oh, and btw when I say large amounts I do mean a decent amount of money - I've paid out well over a grand in the past few weeks

Yes I agree,my lab is insured luckily,because he has cost the company nearly £3,000 :cry:

Seconded - well said, Becki.

My OH thought insuring our cat was hilarious until he came home one night with a shattered leg (the cat, not the husband).

Five months and nearly £1,000 later (all but the excess covered by insurance), hubby was such a big fan that he took over paying it himself as I'd stopped working to have our family

Am now looking at Petplan, as they seem to be one of far too few companies offering bunsurance.

Don't leave it to Hope and Luck, they're always on holiday when you need them most.

X Sarah

i agree- i acutally have a seperate bank account for the animals which i have a standing order in each month, that way i know that i have money stashed away. Bestys stasis incident cost me £300 last month

one thing about insurance is that if you get it after you have had a sick bun you will need to disclose the fact that they have been ill and then wont insure against whatever they have had in the past- they sometimes are a little difficult when making a claim- i had my horse insured for 15 years and the one and only time i put a claim in they didnt payout due to something in the very small small print. my advise is savings if its practical for you.

I was only chatting on email about this the other day. My vets are pretty understanding, so I'd get some kind of payment terms, but other than that it'd be credit card:?

we are insuring rocky, our 5 year old x breed, bcus we worked out for bonnie we have paid £1500 in vet bills at least since we got her.

rocky has cost us £400 so far

I agree :)

I feel like ive gone a bit over the top when I get my statement in for my bunny vet bills savings and luckily I havent needed to use any of it yet but I do feel so much better knowing its there if I ever need it. I would be :censored: if I had a vet bill go into thousands and didnt have anything saved for them :shock:

Sorry your having trouble Becki, really hope its all sorted soon hun :( x

I totally agree, we set aside £500 a month to cover vet bills, although we have decided that next year it will have to be £600 at least as we are paying between £400 and £600 a month for bills. We also have £1000, sitting aside in case of any real emergencies, and the vets know us so well and we are good clients that they would let us pay off a big bill over a period of time. If we didn't account for the vet bills we would be stuffed. We don't insure ours because insurance isn't available for many of our pets, eg- goats, sheep,etc.
The only ones insured are the horses, mainly because they are going out and about, increasing the risk of accidents happening to them.
I couldn't sleep at night if I thought I couldn't cover a bill.

i agree- i acutally have a seperate bank account for the animals which i have a standing order in each month, that way i know that i have money stashed away. Bestys stasis incident cost me £300 last month

one thing about insurance is that if you get it after you have had a sick bun you will need to disclose the fact that they have been ill and then wont insure against whatever they have had in the past- they sometimes are a little difficult when making a claim- i had my horse insured for 15 years and the one and only time i put a claim in they didnt payout due to something in the very small small print. my advise is savings if its practical for you.

I agree. There is no point in insuring my two, they've had too many injuries/illness. I always keep a 'buffer zone' of money, so if I need to pay out, I can (even though I don't earn very much).

I am going to insure the next rabbit I get though.

I insured all mine the second i got them. That was they cant have any conditions previous to being insured! Just keep them healthy for two weeks after buying the insurance.

Insurance is amazing. I have had over £750 paid for in the last year. I wouldnt ever dream of not having it.

Lisa

all i have is a credit card to one side which i use for unexpected vet bills but since im on bad wage (£100 a week :roll:) im only able to pay minimum payment off it and the moneys running out now :(

people seriously need to think about this alot of people have a attitude of 'il deal with it when it happens' but when it happens you find your self in Sh** you really do need to think about the 'what ifs' before an emergancy vet bill occurs.

i think this thread was needed and well said Becki i just hope people actually read it and actually do it rather then read it and not take it in 'like in one ear and out teh other :roll:)

I agree with you so much on this, so far in the last 5 weeks, we've spent about £750 on vets bills :shock: :shock: :shock: Most of which was due to 2 bunnies being seriously unwell - 1 passing away & 1 who had to be PTS :cry:. We've also had 3 buns in the last 3 weeks that have had wounds caused by our other rabbits, which needed surgery :cry:. I'm just hoping that's it for a while, otherwise we'll be living on fresh air to pay the vets bills!!

My dog is insured but that is it.My cats,bunnies and piggies are not.I always have a couple of grand put away in a savings account for emergencys.Failing that i do have a credit card.

Totally agree, over the part two months i have had two buns in for dentals, 8 in for 3 lots of mite injections, pringle in for a couple of weeks with gut problems and kizzy with a wound :(. Its not good!!

Back