• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Russell Rabbit

You'll probably find most people on here tend to feed a pellet form of food rather than a mix like Russel rabbit.

Of the ones I've seen it looks pretty good quality but it gives the bun the option of selective feeding which means they could be missing out of a specific part of the diet if they leave the same bits all the time.

I was told by my vet that its better to feed good quality pellets as this prevents selective feeding. My own bunny Timba has pellets mixed with a small amount of Molasas as he had been on that mix when we got him, he won't eat his pellets unless thats in there too. My son brought Russel rabbit once he didn't touch it but it looked full of e numbers to me.

My bunny Louie love russell rabbit it is the only food he will eat tried him on pellet and he wouldnt eat them. I still mix the pellets in with the russell rabbit but he eats all the russell rabbit :roll: I have tried starving him and giving him just pellets but he still wont eat them.

I wouldnt feed russell rabbit :( I know its on the market, along with alot of other mixed foods, buts our vet said its like offering a child a mcdonalds or a plate of veg. Basically the russell rabbit is full of rubbish :)

Pellet food is much better and also keeps their teeth down etc :) My buns have the excel pellets, and the rspca foster bunnies have excel too :)

If food is changed over from russell to pellets though, remember it has to be done gradually :) A bunny will eat pellets eventually!! You just have to do it slowly! :) xXx Hope this helps

I've tried my lot on everything from Science Selective and Excel to Wagg Pellets. We've now gone back to Russell Rabbit!

They don't selectively feed and they only get 1/2 tablespoon each morning and afternoon, so they look upon it as a treat. Personally, I don't think some rabbits can cope with pellets, Smokey certainly can't.

In an ideal world, I'd feed them Oxbow Bunny Basics but they probably wouldn't touch it:lol:!

I managed to gradually switch mine to Science Selective from Russel Rabbit type stuff, so it's definately worth a try.

I had to change mine over from oxbow 15/23 there was too much protein from the alfalfa in it gave my buns a dodgy tummy gradually went on to A/P feeder/Grower n they are great now touch wood :)

I managed to gradually switch mine to Science Selective from Russel Rabbit type stuff, so it's definately worth a try.

We have tried and Inky won't eat it. Smokey really doesn't seem to tolerate pellets at all well. She has problems with her digestive system and pellets just seem to be too concentrated for her.

They have a pretty good diet (fresh veg and tonnes of hay), in spite of their RR, so I'm not too concerned.

Back