• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mucky bottom help

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
If a bun has a contiously mucky bottom how would you prevent it?

(not one of mine, re: someone elses bunny)

bunny is part of a bonded pair, two females. other bunny is very large, but doesnt have this problem.

the bunny in question is a dwarf spayed lop, -3 years old ish.

everytime she boards here she has a mucky bottom, and its all matted too, in a bit mess,everytime she is here i trim it all off, but it only gets rid of that problem, it doesnt actually stop the reason behind the mucky bum.

she is fed the correct ammount of excell and hay, veggies etc

Maybe bun is eating too much carrot or any other sort of sweet veg. cut out the carrot & if bum still mucky cut out the greens. Its a case of removing something from buns diet at a time & increasing the hay

Excel has a bit of a reputation for causing mucky bums...I would sugest they change her either to Excell lite or to another type of pellet (ss or A&P perhaps?)

hmmmm i have a sample bag of SS here,i could try giving them that and see if it persists?

tbh we give them a tiny ammount of veg, bcus of he rmucky bum, and give them so much but it still carries on.

my mum is currently trimming her up.

wil try her on SS

I'm sure that will solve the problem, I think Excel is just a bit rich for more sensitive buns. SS should sort it out if the owner can get hold of it so they can stay on it. Change them over slowly by mixing the SS in with the excel and cutting it down gradually :)

If the owner can't get hold of SS Excel lite is pretty good, Poppy had that for a while when she was going through one of her " I don't like SS anymore" phases:roll:

My timmy always had a mucky bum.. I tried cutting out all veggies, which didn't help at all! So I saw on here about SS being high in Fiber and swapped him onto that... it a serious miricle worker... not a single messy bum since the change, and the buns love it!! Plus they get all their veggies back too!

hmmm. shes not contactable this is the problem. but i am goign to do it anyway because she gets SO mucky, she is at serious risk of flystrike and she always look so misrable, so i will try it.

she has said to me that she feels so sorry for her and has tried cutting out veggies for example, so i know she wouldnt object if i could contact her.

Has she had her teeth checked? Inability to eat caecatrophs because of dental problems can also be a cause, as can things like arthritis so she can't bend round and get them easily.

I'd definitely agree with Lou to try changing from excel first though, I put my nethies on excel for a while when I wanted to fatten Santa up and she got a mucky bum pretty quickly - so I changed them off them and it stopped.

hmmmmm well they did have a 'basic' tooth check recently at their checkups, i know some problems cant be seen on a simple check but she doesnt have runny eyes or a wet mouth etc, plus she eats like a horse.

i gave her a couple of SS pellets n she loved them, so hopefully she will start to feel better.

its not nice seeing her so uncomfy, i know she isnt my bun but i want to help her

:wave: ss made my buns bum worse..and shes never got better from it! shes now on allen and page which has helped her alot and i avoid giving her veg fruit and no treats whatsoever and cut right back on pelelts but its a daily problem for her. her trigger is tress and i wonder if thisis the case with this bun?

wouldnt hurt to try a hay only diet for a while to give the gut a rest and maybe add some avipro plus powder tot he water...its pricey but a tube of fibreplex over the two days usualy helps bif get down to a few dirty smudges a day instead of mucky butt and pancaked hutch floor1
bif has had a few dentals and it maybe that too..vet check for def.

:wave: As well as all the good advice given here, has she been wormed? Brody had a persistent mucky bum and I had to keep her and Totti seperate as a result. Way back in 2004, they went to into boarding where she was wormed with Panacur. Her mucky bum cleared up and I was able to bond them in Dec 2004.

Excel was too rich and also she could only have a few veg as others gave her bunny cow splats again.

One of my buns, Hazel, has a mucky bun and scald due to her back problems (spondylitis) and a lump on her urethera so she leeks urine.
It is probably worth the owner trying to find out why she has a problem as it could be physical.
WIth Hazel I try to manage things to minimize the problem. Apart from checking her daily for fly strike and usning rear guard, I make sure she doesn't have took mcuh food. I don't always win e.g. when i put her out on the grass she eats non -stop then has caetotrophs all over the place. It is a balancing act. Years ago when I took her to the vet about it he put her on twice a day metacam becasue of her back pain - this made things much better as at least eating the poos doesn't hurt. She's been on it ever since.

With your bun it might not be a matter of which brand of pellets or veg she is getting. If you have any metacam you could try dosing her to see if it makes a difference - the poor bun could simply be in pain from her back.

The rescue told us that Bella had a mucky bottom all the time whilst she was on Excel, they switched her to SS and it cleared straight away.

good news, Mollys mucky bum hasnt been seen since i switched her over to SS. her owner is coming to get her in an hour, jsut spoke 2 her and she is delighted, no more 'sitting in the bath pulling at her bum' lol!

Molly is much happier too!

where is the cheapest place to buy SS online:wave:

Didn't see this thread first time round. One of mine suffered with mucky bum last year and we tried Excel,Excel light and SS. The problem still persisted though. We moved to Oxbow Bunnybasics T which was sorted him out. Thought I would mention it just in case there are any further problems with the SS. Hopefully the SS will work as it is easier to get hold of and cheaper than Oxbow.

Back