• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long for sore hocks to get better?

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
I have to book Beau in for a dental when his feet have healed, but they don’t seem to be healing to me and im not sure exactly what I am supposed to waiting for before I bring him back to the vet. They still look very red and sore to me, and ive no idea if im supposed to be expecting his fur to grow back there or just for them to not look sore or red. I would have thought they would started getting better by now. Although they haven’t bled since that day at the vet.

Im cleaning his feet and applying his cream twice a day, he hasn’t been on any type of hard floor at all since I found out. He has vetbed in his hutch, in his play area in the house and blankets to play on. His litter tray is filled with Megazorb which is fairly soft

His course of Baytril has finished now

Are sore hocks something that get better with treatment or something the bunny just has to live with? Im really not sure if my vet meant wait until they are better, or wait until they aren’t bleeding anymore but still keep him on vetbed all the time :?

I will check with him when I bring Trip in this week but I just thought I would ask here because I know lots of you have buns with sore hocks xx

I had buns with sore hocks before, not to the point of bleeding but just bald and red.

My buns got better so it is something that'll improve with time. It does take some time for the fur to grow fully back, so my guess is that the vet meant until they were no longer sore/red looking.

In my case the problems wasn't hard floors but synthetic carpet, now I make sure that they have pure cotton rugs under their feet when out and about. Vetbeds are really good for sore hocks but is there any chance that the blankets could cause friction (if they're not from natural fibre, that is)?

Thank you, yes he must have meant bring him back when they no longer look sore

Its just cotton sheets he has to play in or sit on. Hope they aren’t doing more harm than good! x

Back