• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Trying to find out what went wrong?

Roxanne21

Warren Scout
Hi, I just joined today, this is my first thread but unfortunately its a sad one :cry:
My dwarf lop Nemo died today unexpectedly. It's been a week since he has been neutered. Last Friday I took him to the vets who had told me that they had performed this operation many times. I phoned in the afternoon and they said everything had gone well and I could pick him up at 5.00pm. When I got there they were about to hand him over when they realised that he was bleeding slightly so they kept him and I later had a call off the vet who said he was going to take him home. He said he was a bleeder.
The next morning they rang again and said he was perfectly fine again and that we could pick him up at 4.00pm. We picked him up and he was quiet but eating well. A few days later I adopted a 6 month female bun and they sat by each other in their separate cages. We also took him for a check at the vets on the wednesday and he was healing great. For the next week I had never seen him so happy and he seemed back to his usual cheeky self.
Today we went out and at the end of the day came back to find him lay in his cage dead. There was a couple of patches of blood but not much. We took him to the vets and he said he had died of blood clogging.
I just cant get my head around it because he had been perfectly fine for this whole week an then suddenly he's gone. Does this happen very often and has it got anything to do with the vet or is it just bad luck?
Thank you for reading

:wave: i have no experience with this but have lost a doe to a spay so know alittle of the sadness you feel....was it a bun vet ? had you used them before? sometimes these things do just happen....
im very sorry for your loss:cry:
kellie

I really dont know. So sorry of your loss.
Hopefully someone will be along who may be able to shed some light to this..how awful.

Binky free little bunny!
x

Sorry for your loss :( Did the vet say it was because of a blood clot or because his blood wasn't clotting?

Hi, I just joined today, this is my first thread but unfortunately its a sad one :cry:
My dwarf lop Nemo died today unexpectedly. It's been a week since he has been neutered. Last Friday I took him to the vets who had told me that they had performed this operation many times. I phoned in the afternoon and they said everything had gone well and I could pick him up at 5.00pm. When I got there they were about to hand him over when they realised that he was bleeding slightly so they kept him and I later had a call off the vet who said he was going to take him home. He said he was a bleeder.
The next morning they rang again and said he was perfectly fine again and that we could pick him up at 4.00pm. We picked him up and he was quiet but eating well. A few days later I adopted a 6 month female bun and they sat by each other in their separate cages. We also took him for a check at the vets on the wednesday and he was healing great. For the next week I had never seen him so happy and he seemed back to his usual cheeky self.
Today we went out and at the end of the day came back to find him lay in his cage dead. There was a couple of patches of blood but not much. We took him to the vets and he said he had died of blood clogging.
I just cant get my head around it because he had been perfectly fine for this whole week an then suddenly he's gone. Does this happen very often and has it got anything to do with the vet or is it just bad luck?
Thank you for reading

How tragic :cry:

Was he vaccinated against VHD ?

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/VHD_UK.htm

If not I would strongly advise you to get your other Bun vaccinated ASAP. There are two VHD Vaccines available, CYLAP and LAPINJECT. I'd advise you request she has the LAPINJECT as the immune response is quicker (6 days)

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/CEVA_Animal_Health_Ltd/Lapinject_VHD/-42507.html

than that from CYLAP (21 days)

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Fort_Dodge_Animal_Health/Cylap/-44934.html

I would also dispose of Nemo's cage and thouroughly disinfect any areas used by him.

If it was not VHD then the fact he appeared to have a blood clotting problem might indecate another type of Liver disorder.

I really am very sorry for your loss :cry:

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear about Nemo & that that you're joining here under such tragic circumstances. :(

The vets I went to was a branch inside a large pet shop (not sure if I can say their name)

I'm not quite sure exactly what the vet meant because yesterday when I went I was upset but I all I know is that he said it had something to do with blood clotting. It was definitely to do with his operation.

Nemo had been vaccinated against myxy but not vhd yet but my other bunny Bella has been vaccinated against everything a while ago but would she still be at risk?

I felt bad for Bella because she had been in the cage next to him and I'm not sure if it would have affected her at all? I hadn't got to the stage where I put them together though so I don't know if she would have much of a relationship with him yet.

Thanks for your replies.

How long ago was Bella's vaccination against VHD? It needs to be done yearly so if it was outside that time I'd take her to have it done today to be on the safe side.

How long ago was Bella's vaccination against VHD? It needs to be done yearly so if it was outside that time I'd take her to have it done today to be on the safe side.

I'm not sure I need to find out today because the place I adopted her from said they would see if they had any of her documents and phone but they never did. I'm going to go down and see them I think.

I'm not sure I need to find out today because the place I adopted her from said they would see if they had any of her documents and phone but they never did. I'm going to go down and see them I think.

Oh actually she's only 6 months old so she must have had it done recently. Sorry bit of a dumb moment I had there :roll:

im new to the forum to. im so sorry to hear of your loss. i hope youre other bunny is doing ok. hugs claire x

im new to the forum to. im so sorry to hear of your loss. i hope youre other bunny is doing ok. hugs claire x

Bella my other bunny is fine thank you for asking. She was eating and acting fine after. I didn't get a chance to bond them they were in separate cages because I'd only got her a week ago, so they weren't very close. I think she's a bit lonely though I'm keeping an eye out for her new boyfriend :love:

Oh im sorry for your loss :( Ive lost one pet to nueter (rat) and its heart breaking xx

Blood clotting can accur after operations though very rare.

I'm going to post a tribute as soon as I get the pictures i took of him off my phone. He was such a great little rabbit he had such a lively personality.

Thanks everyone for your support.:)

Back