• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP!! My house smells of wee!

senatorvass

Warren Scout
My house smells of rabbit wee. (my rabs are houserabs) I hoover all the time, always clean their enclosure thouroughly and do everything I can think of. They never poo out in the house, but do poo and wee all over their cage (not exclusively their litter tray just wherever they happen to be in their cage) I dont notice damp patches or anything on the carpet so I assume they dont wee outside their cage either but I dont know. It really smells and its giving me a headache!

How do I potty train them PROPERLY and how the hell do I get rid of this smell?? Its driving me mad and I am embarrassed to have people around.

Hi again :wave:

what spray do you use in your cage? I use Johnsons Clean'n'safe for my house buns cage, it smells nice and seems to neutralise odours.

Mine only wee in their litter tray and cage, but I did notice on our rug, little spots of wee - not sure if this was eeking out when they stretched :oops: but now i put a sheet on the rug and throws on the sofa they use and wash them all regularly - seems to have done the trick!

To be "properly" litter trained rabbits need to be spayed/castrated as they use marking to define their territory, once they have no hormones they don't care so much about their territory.

As for the stuff that's there, a little vinegar diluted with water will get rid. Add tea tree oil for it's anti-bac properties & another oil if you want it to smell nice.

We change litter trays daily but still have a real rabbity smell in the kitchen. Have just discovered Simple Solution which we get from SPH Supplies. It's recommended by rescues to clean out the territory smell from accommodation before bonded buns come home so should do wonders for smells that human noses can detect!

Otherwise scented candles are worth a go, something like Yankee which use natural oils so avoid that nasty "synthetic" perfume smell.

For air freshner neutrodol is good - it neutralises the smells without adding horrid artificial ones.
Go for the round white ball that sits on the side and sort of 'melts' over time (not good at explaining this!) rather than the spray things.

I noticed in a previous post that Stardust isn't neutered yet - unneutered males do have a very strong scent to their wee! So you should notice a huge decrease in smell once he's had his neuter.
In the meantime, things like cleaning the cage with white vinegar to break down the ammonia (lots of cleaners don't do this very well), keeping a bowl of bicarb soda by the cage (out of reach of the buns - and just left dry, don't add water or anything) helps with smells too.
As said, neutering will help with the litter training too :)

We have Johnsons Clean & Safe that we use to clean the cage out.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I am doing the Yankee Candle thing, and Febreeze, and bicarb, and air freshener!! :lol: Covering all my bases.

I want Stardust nuetered ASAP but he hasnt dropped yet so there is nothing there to chop. I really expected it would happen by now, he was born 12 May so I think that makes him 16 weeks.

are you sure stardust is a boy? ;)

I cant really add much more to what has already been advised. My bunny room smells a bit of wee as Nala keeps weeing on the carpet and i cant get it out so that smells but you dont really notice it that strongly. I clean the floor of their room and trays regularly and use megazorb, i also have a window open slightly alot of the time when im home;)

are you sure stardust is a boy? ;)

I cant really add much more to what has already been advised. My bunny room smells a bit of wee as Nala keeps weeing on the carpet and i cant get it out so that smells but you dont really notice it that strongly. I clean the floor of their room and trays regularly and use megazorb, i also have a window open slightly alot of the time when im home;)

We are sort of sure. AlisonA (from RU) thinks he is a boy and she is pretty good at that! And he looks like one to me. He just has no testicles poor thing! :shock:

Back