• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unwanted owner!!!

Marreline

Warren Scout
My rabbits really can't be bothered with me now that they have each other! A successful bond last month and they're now inseparable which is wonderful. But I now find it difficult to catch them, especially after run-around time inside in the evenings. Pre-bond (and neutering...could this infact be the reason for the change in behaviour? Surely not, thought this was supposed to make them more friendly??) I could catch them easily - they'd sit still and I'd scoop them up, easy as pie. But now it's a right faff, with plenty of bribery (rarely works) etc. Also. they'd come up to me and jump on my knee for a stroke, or settle next to me for nose rub. So very happy that the bond went well, just confused by the change in behaviour. My take on it is they wanted/needed my attention when they were single rabbits but now they have bonded they have each other and don't need me at all. Sob!! ;)

PS Just re-read my thread and had a sudden thought...Had a couple of trips to the vets recently - jabs - and both rabbits found these visits quite traumatic (Dumpling escaped off the scales and legged it around the waiting room. So awful!) so perhaps they don't trust me anymore?????

Last edited:
yes, i think you have hit the nail on the head. bonded bunnies need humans less. Sad for us, but untimately good for them, as they can be together 24/7,which we can never give them.

Also, the joy of watching two bonded bunnies together is worth it all :love:

Yes when I bonded my 2 they went off me. They've slowly got more friendly but they're not as devoted to me as they were. I'm a source of food for them & they no longer need my affection :roll:

Totally agree. So very happy that they are happy. Had two sad little bunnies before and they do so love each other's company now. Much better that they have another bunny to chat to and cuddle! Wonder if they'll ever let me in to their gang???!!! :D

same thing has happened with my bunnies too :( bonded them around 5/6 weeks ago, they hate me going near them now :( its sad, but if theyre happier as everyone says then... <shrugs> i used to love having huggles with them xXx

glad to hear they are happy. After a while with us Charlie just sits there flops out and stares into space, as if he is bored with us, I often wonder if he had a friend, would they still be running around

Also glad to hear as I was wondering what to do with Charlie over winter, house rabbit or outdoor rabbit, but if your two are much happier with their own kind, then I am more confident that he will be better off outside with a girlie of his own.

Back