• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do during winter

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Ok I have already decided to bring the rabbit into the outhouse / leanto when the colder weather comes, but at the minute I am bringing Charlie in for a few hours run in the living room.

I was talking to a friend,who said their rabbit died cos she was doing that. Could this be true, she doen't come across as a rabbit enthusiast, or an 'expert' so I was wondering if I was doing more harm than good by bringing him in. But in my mind could her rabbit have not aclimatiesed due to being brought indoors.

Also do I feed him more now to 'fatten him up' for the winter.

help!

P.S. i am hoping for a summer before this happens!

:wave: I wouldn't recommend changing the environment for a bunny in winter - remember that he only has one coat. Can you imagine going from outdoors, to indoors, and then back to outdoors again in midwinter without a change of clothing? If he stays outdoors all the time he will grow a nice thick coat and won't get cold if he has a nice dry cosy house, but I don't think it's kind or healthy to bring him indoors then take him back out again in the winter.

If you fatten him up you'll just have to put him on a diet :lol:

Rabbits moult so that their winter coat can grow in, and then they moult it out again in spring.

He needs the same diet all year round :)

I wouldnt keep bringing him in and out :( its not good for him, if hes used to being outside, he'll overheat indoors. xXx

I wouldnt bring him either. When I had my 1st rabbit we brought her hutch into the garage and blocked the bottom of the garage off so no draft wold get in (although we thought we had) she got really poorly and died, she was only 18 months old.
Then we got 2 rabbits and my dad put hooks above the mesh bit of the hutch and at night time in winter we hooked a big wooden bored on the front of the hutch just to try to stop there water from freezing and keep them a bit warmer ( I cant remember if it did or not it was 11 years ago!) those to rabbits seemed fine and happy enough living outside all year xx

Have you considered having Charlie as a house rabbit? Or is that not really an option? I moved mine indoors as soon as I realised how much harder they would be to care for outdoors in the winter. (There were other factors too but I think that was one of the major deciders)

I definitely wouldn't consider moving them indoors and outdoors during cold weather but as long as the temperature is much the same indoors and out during summer he should be okay.

I completely understand your concern about the cold. I had my first winter last year. The buns were fine and didn't sem to mind the cold at all. Make sure that the wind and rain can't get to them and give them lots of hay in bedroom area. Mine live in a shed but if yours live in a hutch i would recommend hutch covers like these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RABBIT-HUTCH-...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Alternatively something custom made with old carpets or blankets and some tarpaulin will be cosy for the cold nights! Make sure there is ventilation tho. :D

we have been thinking about bringing him in as a house bunny, but I have spent around 150 pounds on outdoor hutches, mods, tarps and extra runs etc.

As I said we do have the outhouse, which is where we were planning on putting Charlie, Ill just have to pull my finger out get him upto date with everything and get him a girlfriend to snuggle up with over the winter!

Last year I was pottering in there until late nov/early dec, will just have to get the temp lights put up perm

My MIL has brought use some carpet ofcuts this week, for the garden, looks like Charlie will be getting them

Both my bunnies live outside and they were fine last winter.

You here some horrible stories about bunnies living outside but I think as long as you go about it the right way they will be fine. You definitely still worry though!:roll:

Back