• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent, please help :'(

luzafloss

Young Bun
Hi.
Poppy is uselly very happy for company. I went down to give her a piece of her favourite food (baby corn) and she was sprawled out looking like she was asleep. I opened her cage (uselly she'd jump up and nudge me to pet her) but she just stayed laying down with her eyes wide open. She lies kinda like on her side but completley stretched out (when she's asleep she closes her eyes) I set the food infront of her. But she didn't move. I petted her and she stood up but then lay back down again. she doesn't seem to like being petted (which uselly is her favourite thing is to have a cuddle and be petted on the nose) she looks pretty uncomfortable and she's letting me touch her back paws and back which she doesn't uselly like. She's only 2 so it's not like she's old. I'm really worried about her, please help me. :cry: Thanks.

Last edited:
I'd ring round until you find a vet that is open, someone MUST provide an emergency service. You can get some advice if nothing else, or they may be able to come out for a home visit, or have an ambulance service.

She really does sounds asthough she needs a vet ASAP. Some vet must provide emergency cover. Sending vibes :)

Try making her hop around a little, and you could try to syringe some cooled boiled water, but be careful when doing this. TUmmy rubs often help.
However, it would be best for her to see a vet, or at least chat to a vet to get their advice.

did she eat the food?

there could be various things wrong with her, I would have to agree with everyone else and recommend you look for an out-of-hours vet as rabbtis can go downhill very quickly once they start showing symptoms. hope shes ok, let us know how she does. x x

No, she didn't eat the food. I've rubbed her tummy she just doesn't want me there. I tried making her drink water but she just turns away. I pulled her up and tried to make her hop, she just lay back down again. My parents are convinced she's just tired and if she's still like it tomorrow we will bring her to a vet. I don't think she's just tired. Thanks for all your quick responses.

No seriously, my jess was exactly as you described a couple of months ago and it turned out tpo be GI Stasis and if i hadnt have taken him as soon as I have done, he would have died. Please dont wait! :shock:

It sounds as though she has bad tummy pain.
Has she done her normal amount of poo ?
Does she feel cold to touch?
Is her rear end wet?
When did you last see her eat?

I would take it her to the vets asap I dont want to scare you but my bunny went like that and it was EC This might not be the same

When did she last eat? Please tell your parents that no matter how tired a rabbit gets it wouldn't be so unresponsive. It really is important that she sees a vet tonight. As people have already said once a rabbit goes downhill everything happens very quickly.

Wow.
She's not been like this all day. Only a few hours. We are going to keep checking her for symptoms of the GI Stasis. We want to see if she poo's. Can I just ask what is EC? Does it stand for something? Thanks for all your help everyone. I want my parents to phone a vet but they just don't seem to listen. They want to wait :( I'm not too sure I last fed her a few hours ago.

Not meaning to scare you, but perhaps you could relay this to your parents.
I lost my first bunny Flopsy to GI stasis, as I hadn't found this wonderful forum at that time. My last words to her were - it'll be the vets tomorrow young lady if you're no better. She didn't make it until the morning.
Sending your bunny lots of vibes.

She needs a vat asap. PLEASE make your parents listen!! Is she spayed/vaccinated? My floppy was unspayed and had uterine cancer and she went downhill very quickly.

Okay guys I've convinced my parents. We are looking in the phone books for anyvets we can get to, as I said we can't drive it's hard. My parents said if we can find one we will bring her. Thank you all so much. I don't know what would have happened without you.

Wow.
She's not been like this all day. Only a few hours. We are going to keep checking her for symptoms of the GI Stasis. We want to see if she poo's. Can I just ask what is EC? Does it stand for something? Thanks for all your help everyone. I want my parents to phone a vet but they just don't seem to listen. They want to wait :( I'm not too sure I last fed her a few hours ago.
It only takes a few hours, hun:shock: A day of this and she may well be too poorly to be helped.

:oops: Cross-posted! We were obviously posting at the same time. I hope you manage to get a vet, as she'll probably need a painkiller and possible a gut stimulant. Is she grinding her teeth?

EC is a parasite called E Cuniculi and it is very serious I have a rabbit Roo that suffers from this and to be honest i have been told he is lucky to be alive When he suffers his attacks its like hes suffered a stroke

Back