• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Reducing costs without quality/care

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
I was wondering what Ideas people have about reducing the cost of caring for rabbits.

I went to the farmers market today for the first time as a rabbit owner.

Lots of veg stalls, I ended up with a bag of greens (carrot tops, some with carrots attached, beetroot+ leaves, and cabbage leaves) all which were going to be thrown away at the end of the day.

there was nothing wrong with them, they were just at the bottom of the crates, unsold. I did ask before taking too. Im sure if people mentioned they were a charity, more may be donated.

I also managed to get myself some potatoes,, as the guy just said help your self! Ill be using some of the cabbage too

Buy bales of hay from a (good) saddlery; Even if you have to invest in a small 'shed' to keep it in it will save you a fortune in the long run:

Our hay bill went from £30 a fortnight to £5 a fortnight!!! and I gave them 10 times as much hay and its scrumptious.

Whilst there (at the farmer/saddlery) you may be able to buy carrots at £1 for a sackful!!

Buy readigrass in bulk from same place

Rent an allotment - and don't bother to weed it - apart from when you want to feed the buns:

On the small bit of allotment you do weed - grow rabbit friendly veg and things like raspberry bushed and a small apple tree - for the yummy leaves!

Use cheap Tesco's (or similar) towels for lining sick crates etc.

demand multipet discount wherever you can!!

If having to get Baytril etc from vets ask how long it will last in the fridge - if it will last a long time ask for LARGE bottle at same price - next time a rabbit needs Baytril say to the vet 'actually i already have some - just tell me the dose'.

My final hint for living cheaply is . . . dont end up with 12 rabbits !!! (but I love them all and would not part with one for the world)

Not sure if its just me but what has the post about got to do with it anyway i've reported it :? Great idea's tho ;) we got a big market here in leeds that give away fruit & veg at the end of the day, you just gotta be there to get it coz everyone has the same idea :lol:

Last edited:
Thats an ace idea. I was at a farmers market the other day and bought loads of greens. Never thought to wait til the end and go back for the waste stuff!

I was trying to think/ find ways Elaine at Tameside Rabbit and Guinea Pig rescue could reduce her costs, as I have been fund raising for her, but thought it would help to cut costs too

:shock: ?

either its waayy to early in the morning and im missing the point or (wierdly) im not the one who's got confussed..;):lol:

maybe the elderly eat more hay than i thought;)

I get my shredded paper free form work, if you go to some offices they will be happy to get rid of the stuff.
I buy good hay from a local hay merchant, either £5 for a boot full ( about 2 bales worth) however it creates a ton of mess and can be difficult to store, or £4 for a good quality bale, i buy either a boot full or 2 bales a month.
Grow your own veg, most members of the cabbage family can be grown year round as can carrots and many other veg.
Ask everyone in your stree for old newspapers.

I get fresh greens from work, the offcuts that cannot be used for human consumption and salad bits that need to be thrown at the end of the night because they will not be alright the following day.

I also saved a bomb when I switched from feeding SS to A&P.

overall the cost of providing for my buns is quite cheap i spend 14 pounds a monthish actually on my 5, as the veggies they get are offcuts from mine or from local green grocer, ( they always have an offcuts box somewhere ) ive even pinched cauliflowers leaves in supermarkets :oops: ( well we dont eat them )

I grow my own herbs have a huge willow tree at moms,

Its the vets fees that are the stinger

Rent an allotment - and don't bother to weed it - apart from when you want to feed the buns:

On the small bit of allotment you do weed - grow rabbit friendly veg and things like raspberry bushed and a small apple tree - for the yummy leaves!

If you rent an allotment and don't weed it you will probably find (a) your neighbours will hate you and (b) it'll probably end up being taken off you.

Well that's what will happen if you rent one on the same site as mine. ;)

Bulk buy feedstuffs & ask for discounts - especially if a Rescue - maybe some feed shop places would be happy to give a discount, if you recommend them to potential adoptees? The same might be said for Hutch/run suppliers.

And bales of hay. I pay £20 for a big round bale off a farmer. He delivers it to the stables for me, & I just take bags/sacks home when I needs

Also - my local sainsbury's gives me about-to-explode veg when I told them I fostered for a rabbit rescue.

I think the most impoirtant thing is to buy items in bulk wherever posible- at one time I used bagged hay, which cost about £2.50 per bag, and I used two a week. Since I've used rectangular bales, which cost £4ish and last up to 4 or 5 weeks, I've saved quite a significant amount of money, and the bunnies seem to prefer the baled hay which seems better quality.

i have 8 rabbits should i ask for multi-animal discount?

my best bet would be look out for offers on food and also on toys.
i get cheap veg from work and have started to grow mine.
i shop around for my supplies, food, megazorb etc.
i get hay for 4.20 a bale from feed place.

Of course you should, they can only ever say no!! I get 10% off my vaccs if they are done in the same week, as they know I am limited to public transport they let me bring them in over that period.

By the way this is a REALLY OLD thread!!!

It may be an old thread but still useful to some :)

I mostly give mine offcuts, we have a hotel and the chef always fills buckets of carrot peelings and tops, cauli leaves, broccoli stalks etc, and thats what my bunnies and piggies get. I do buy the bunnies an applye occasionally.

I was wondering what Ideas people have about reducing the cost of caring for rabbits.

I went to the farmers market today for the first time as a rabbit owner.

Lots of veg stalls, I ended up with a bag of greens (carrot tops, some with carrots attached, beetroot+ leaves, and cabbage leaves) all which were going to be thrown away at the end of the day.

there was nothing wrong with them, they were just at the bottom of the crates, unsold. I did ask before taking too. Im sure if people mentioned they were a charity, more may be donated.

I also managed to get myself some potatoes,, as the guy just said help your self! Ill be using some of the cabbage too

buy hay in bulk bales, shop around and use two different vets if nessacery ie one for rabbit savvy and one for vaccs(if one cheaper for vaccs) also get your diy skills going grow your own veg adn herbs grass etc.
make your own bunny toys i find because of these things unles sthey are ill my bunnies are fairly in expensive to keep but i have money aside for when ill x

buy hay in bulk bales, shop around and use two different vets if nessacery ie one for rabbit savvy and one for vaccs(if one cheaper for vaccs) also get your diy skills going grow your own veg adn herbs grass etc.
make your own bunny toys i find because of these things unles sthey are ill my bunnies are fairly in expensive to keep but i have money aside for when ill x

;);) This is almost 2 years old, when I first started with my buns.
But as Happysaz133 says it is still very relevant, if not more so since hitting a recession.

I have to say since posting this I have started to buy blaes of hale ( I even share with a little nethi friend around the corner) and I would really recommend it, it is so much better then the cheap pets at home one :D my buns go through so much!!

I pot up the supermarket live herbs, and feed them loads :) Shopping market compost used for their herbs is rubbish and doesn't contain enough nutirents to keep the actual plants going.

I get boxes from work and the supermarket. They love the fruit boxes and so do I they are great as disposable litter trays :) and will play in a box got hourse, jumping on it chasing each other round it etc.

I give them my apple prunings, put an ad up on gum tree to get these, list all the ones that are safe for buns :)

I think that rescues could save money by viewing themselves as a business and getting discount from vets. It makes sense to me that, if you are spending hundreds or thousands with a vet, and are a rescue, that they should give you preferential rates.

I think its hard for people to do this but, even if they did a letter, it would be worth a try.

Getting companies to provide free goods for rescues would be something that is possible too.

I think all established rescues do get discount at vets
it still varies tremendously in price..I know we pay alot more then some and less than others

if you don't get a discount and are spending a large sum with them..change vets

Back