• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foxes and dog kennel/run or aviary style housing

vanessa

Warren Scout
My bunnies live in a dog kennel and run, there is strong wood on the roof and three sides, part of the front is very strong galvanised mesh and it has two doors with bolts. I saw a fox on top of the roof last week and immediately brought the bunnies inside in a panic, but I think they prefer being outside so I am thinking about putting them back outside with extra security measures (foxwatch sonic detectors and putting strong mesh puppy pen panels around the outside for extra strength with tarpaulin to cover it so the bunnies can't see out at nighttime). Has anybody who has their bunnies in housing like mine seen foxes around it and have they ever managed to cause any damage to it?

Hi
I have that style. In fact I have 6 adjoining ones!
The first week we had them we saw a fox walk over the top of the 'aviary' roofs but no evidence of trying to get in.
After we saw that we installed electric fence top and bottom that weekend.

Since then we have not had any visits that we have seen (and we sleep in a room on the ground floor adjoining the 'aviaries'.

the fence (actually a sort of double bungee) runs of strong battaries and is on the outside of the runs at ground and also on the roof. It is turned on at night and pulsates.

We also have gripper strips on the roof (not sure they would actually be felt by a fox) and sonic detarrants at ground and roof level.

By the way - for those that wonder how high a fox can jump - the roof of our rabbit 'aviaries' are 7ft.

(PS Don't forget to put concrete slabs for a couple of feet around the base as well.)

I doubt a fox would be able to get into a dog kennel/run set-up...after all they're designed to stop dogs getting out, and a fox is smaller and weaker than most dogs

One glimpse of a fox and I'm stressed out - I'm feeling a bit calmer after reading your replies, so thanks! Parsnipbun - where did you get your electric fence from and are the gripper strips like the plastic type ones that you put on fences to stop cats or do you mean carpet gripper strips?

We used carpet gripper strips as they were much cheaper than the plastic things you can buy and we had something like 100ft to cover!! They look viscous but to be honest I have put my hand on them and it just prickles. The birds land on them as well!

We got our electric fence set up from Forsham arks (see their website). we since got some more and thought it would be cheaper elsewhere - but when it arrived it wasn't so good. Just thin bits of wire rather than the thick bungees.

Back