• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

baby rabbits and safe housing

Squizz

Alpha Buck
my rescue bunny has had an unexpected litter - see this thread:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=144786

this is the hutch we have:

015-4.jpg

the nest has been made upstairs in the corner against the right hand side door. My question, is what do I do once they start leaving the nest - obviously the ramp would be very dangerous for them, and I can shut the door to that - but then I will be restricting the mums access to them. I'm not sure what to do - any ideas? :?

Could you put something across the middle of the hutch (a strip of mdf or plywood maybe?) that would be too high for the babies to get over but low enough that mum can hop over it and still have use of the run.

Could you put something across the middle of the hutch (a strip of mdf or plywood maybe?) that would be too high for the babies to get over but low enough that mum can hop over it and still have use of the run.

genius idea! Thanks! I take it babies won't be able to climb / jump too high?

How old are the babys I have a accidental litter and they are 4 weeks and can jump and climb quite high

Uh oh. Maybe the wood isn't such a good idea then. :? I have no experience of baby rabbits, but thought it might work.

How old are the babys I have a accidental litter and they are 4 weeks and can jump and climb quite high

two of them are 3 days old, and one of them is 2 days old. (I'm assuming there are only 3 but I can't be sure!!:shock:).

So it's not a concern right now, but I am trying to plan ahead! Do you think the babies would jump over a divider then?

To be honest i dont know but like i said mine are 4 weeks old and can jump and climb on top of things but at 4 weeks old they are quite big. I wouldnt like to advise as im not very experienced

To be honest i dont know but like i said mine are 4 weeks old and can jump and climb on top of things but at 4 weeks old they are quite big. I wouldnt like to advise as im not very experienced

I bet they are really cute! I'm looking forward to ours getting to that stage.

It will be exciting to see what our buns turn out like, we have no idea what kind of bun their dad is, he could have been a wild rabbit, or someones pet.

could you not put mdf etc down the side of the ramp, encasing it so they don't fall off. Never had babies, so not too sure what care requirements are, but it is and idea

I bet they are really cute! I'm looking forward to ours getting to that stage.

It will be exciting to see what our buns turn out like, we have no idea what kind of bun their dad is, he could have been a wild rabbit, or someones pet.

I will post some pictures for you when i work out how :lol:

could you not put mdf etc down the side of the ramp, encasing it so they don't fall off. Never had babies, so not too sure what care requirements are, but it is and idea

good idea - although not sure how I would do it...maybe a project for the husband....I suppose we could staple chicken wire to the ramp to make it enclosed? although the two adult buns - tend to use the ramp by jumping up half way up it - so that could confuse them!

When Ronny had her babies they could n't get over a 3 and a half inch box lip. They were nice and safe until their eyes were open and a little after that.

When Ronny had her babies they could n't get over a 3 and a half inch box lip. They were nice and safe until their eyes were open and a little after that.

Thanks. I might put a divider across the bedroom of the hutch, which the mum can get over but they can't, so won't get to the ramp. not sure how on earth I'll do that - I wish I'd paid more attention in woodwork lessons!

Back