• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molting problems!

winterborn

New Kit
This will probably seem a bit silly to those of you with long-haired buns - but it's worrying me quite a bit just now, so I thought I'd better maybe ask for some help! :(

My dwarf lop, Foo, is currently molting - at quite a scary rate! I think that his little body-clock's a bit out of sync as we take him inside during the winter, but he gets his long, puffy, slighly denser coat during the summer, and then a darker, thinner, silkier coat during the winter ... he's now shedding masses of blondey puffs everywhere!

It's not so much the shedding that I'm worried about, as I know that's just nature's way of dealing with the seasons, but it's been very, very rainy and stormy here recently. It's not been cold or anything (thunder terrifies him, so I've been making sure he stays warm inside), but the dampness means that his fur has been forming into mats, especially around his back legs and bum, and the shedding fur has been dreadlocking itself into these! :(

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on avoiding the fur matting like this, especially when it's damp underfoot? I've been brushing him regularly with a gentle but firm-toothed comb, which has been working, but it is quite persistant.

Also, I'm wondering whether it might be a good idea to give him a little bath of sorts. Any thoughts on this? I've never actually bathed him before because I've heard horror-stories about drops in temperature, but his fur feels really quite dirty around his underside ... no visible dirt, if you get what I mean, but the fur feels slightly 'crunchy', and is constantly curly as though there's something stuck in it. I have checked for all signs of nastiness and he seems healthy, but I think he's quite uncomfortable at the moment. Could a gentle bath around the affected areas mat them up more?

Wow, that was a bit of an essay! :shock: Hehe ... thank-you very much for any tips or advice that you can share on this! I'm hoping I might be able to bring him inside for a while just because of this

I've no experience of long haired buns, but thought I'd bump this post up for you. I'm sure some folk will be along with some advice soon.:D

Hiya :wave: im guessing thats him in the pic? if so, hes the same breed as my Lottie, a sooty fawn dwarf lop :)

I wouldnt totally bath him, but i would 'clean' the messy areas :) Could he not stay inside for a few hours while he has this done?? Its very cold outside at the moment for him to be cleaned :( They generally keep their fur clean themselves though... what is he bedded on?? :) xXx

This will probably seem a bit silly to those of you with long-haired buns - but it's worrying me quite a bit just now, so I thought I'd better maybe ask for some help! :(

My dwarf lop, Foo, is currently molting - at quite a scary rate! I think that his little body-clock's a bit out of sync as we take him inside during the winter, but he gets his long, puffy, slighly denser coat during the summer, and then a darker, thinner, silkier coat during the winter ... he's now shedding masses of blondey puffs everywhere!

It's not so much the shedding that I'm worried about, as I know that's just nature's way of dealing with the seasons, but it's been very, very rainy and stormy here recently. It's not been cold or anything (thunder terrifies him, so I've been making sure he stays warm inside), but the dampness means that his fur has been forming into mats, especially around his back legs and bum, and the shedding fur has been dreadlocking itself into these! :(

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on avoiding the fur matting like this, especially when it's damp underfoot? I've been brushing him regularly with a gentle but firm-toothed comb, which has been working, but it is quite persistant.

Also, I'm wondering whether it might be a good idea to give him a little bath of sorts. Any thoughts on this? I've never actually bathed him before because I've heard horror-stories about drops in temperature, but his fur feels really quite dirty around his underside ... no visible dirt, if you get what I mean, but the fur feels slightly 'crunchy', and is constantly curly as though there's something stuck in it. I have checked for all signs of nastiness and he seems healthy, but I think he's quite uncomfortable at the moment. Could a gentle bath around the affected areas mat them up more?

Wow, that was a bit of an essay! :shock: Hehe ... thank-you very much for any tips or advice that you can share on this! I'm hoping I might be able to bring him inside for a while just because of this

Id cut the matts out the best you can, they'll only get worse :(

Back