• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone else had to repair their happyhutches?

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
Just wondered :lol:

Ive had mine a year and a half now and it appears to just be breaking :( I dont mistreat it or anything :shock: :lol: The state of the top of the run and doors you would think ive been out the breaking it on purpose or something :( I cant lift the run lid open and the bit of wood has come up and is blocking the doors from opening, I need the assistance of two people just to feed Trip and Scarlett or get them in and out :shock:

I dont even know if its worth buying new wood and making new bits for it myself or just buying even more wood and getting a whole new hutch made

Someone told me if I supply the wood and paid the prison often would give things like this as a project to the criminals, not sure if I should just look into that now :?

How long has everyone elses happyhutches lasted? Wish I had just got them a Rydale hutch now :roll: :lol: x

So far mine has been execllent! But i haven't had it long.
Also, the hutch is inside so it doesn't get wet.

I have heard alot of people saying their happy hutches have broken. Think i will get a Rydale hutch next time too!

I have heard alot of people saying their happy hutches have broken. Think i will get a Rydale hutch next time too!

Really :( Im probably better off sorting something else out now than rather than waiting for something else on it to break

Rydale ones are really good hun, I :love: mine x

I'm really not happy with mine :( :( was at first but not the lid doesn't align properly and the whole thing is going really moldy, they said it was pre treated but who knows what with cos it's not fit to be outdoors at all. I can't even repaint it myself cos it never dries out for long enough.

The Ryedale hutches are treated, however they also recommend treating them again after 3 months. I treat all my hutches which are outside every year with an animal friendly wood treatment and add some cooking oil to it, this helps the make the surface more water repellent.

All hutches really could do with treating at least every year to maintain their condition and to make them last.

The Ryedale hutches are treated, however they also recommend treating them again after 3 months. I treat all my hutches which are outside every year with an animal friendly wood treatment and add some cooking oil to it, this helps the make the surface more water repellent.

All hutches really could do with treating at least every year to maintain their condition and to make them last.

How do you dry them out? I can't paint it while its wet cos it'll seal the water in :( :( Great tip about the cooking oil though, what proportion of it do you mix with the woodstain?

mine was all mouldy after 4 months :(

How do you dry them out? I can't paint it while its wet cos it'll seal the water in :( :( Great tip about the cooking oil though, what proportion of it do you mix with the woodstain?

mine was all mouldy after 4 months :(

I would put a cover over the hutch when it is wet and take it off on the dry days which will stop it from getting any wetter and hopefully allow it to dry out quicker. Wait until the weather has improved.

If water is seeping in through the joins using some silicone and let it dry.

I usually put about 250 mls of oil in a pot of wood preserver. I got the idea from my dad, he always use to put the old car engine oil in with creosote (when you could buy it) and paint it on the fence. Our garden fences always lasted longer than any of our neighbours! He still does it even now and it has always saved him the problem of what to do with his old engine oil

I've only had mine since the end of June and water started seeping in through the tongue and groove sides a few weeks back in heavy rain. I've re-treated and sealed all the joins with silicone - just waiting for some rain to see if it's worked.

"waiting for some rain" - now theres a phrase I've not heard for at least 8 months!

might start on some repairs while the Guiness is away at his wedding.

Yes my Ryedale hutch was treated when I got it, I wasnt aware if the happyhutch was though :) I treat all mine anyway

Its not mould that im worried about its the way the wood has started moving about so it does fit together properly anymore :shock:

Back