• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Comment/experience I heard at garden centre/pet store really upset me today

senatorvass

Warren Scout
I just had to post on this here as I was so upset by it and most people wouldnt understand. We have been to 3 different pet supply places looking for Timothy hay. I dont know anything about it but as some of you know my rabbits have gone off their hay so I wanted to try something different for them and heard that recommended on here. (by the way we still havent found any!)

Anyway we were at a garden centre we had never been to before but we heard it was really good for rabbit stuff. There were dozens of rabbits being sold there in awfully small little cages no room or anything I was so so sad over it I had to quickly leave the room and would not allow my little boy to go in and see as I want him to know the RIGHT and WRONG way to have animals.

Then I went to pay for a bulb I bought for someone as a gift (yes I realise I shouldnt support their business I really wasnt thinking just going through the motions) and someone asked one of the losers behind the counter about the rabbits they had and he said in his horrible voice "We got more rabbits than Sainsburys" and was having a good old chuckle. It just made me feel ill. What are they, pets or food?

I am vegetarian so dont have to ask that of myself but this man seemed to think these animals he was selling was just a live version of dead meat and it made me feel ill.

:cry::cry:How awful.
I tend to go to pet shops/garden centres that don,t sell animals anymore.
It made me so upset has i always had to have a peek at the animals:oops:

How upsetting:cry::cry:

I was in Pets At Home stocking up on Pellets, when I heard someone say:

"Oh Look, these ones need adopting, we can get 'em for free!"

I was so shocked, I just shook my head and walked off, FOR FREE!? Oh No, I forgot, these animals don't need food, neutering, vacc's!!
:censored::cry:

i got mine from adoption at pah and its not for free we had to pay a free wich goes to the animal charitys aparently???

sounds sad poor bunnys :(

my husband and I were just discussing this and he corrected me saying that the man didnt say "more rabbitS than Sainsburys" but more RABBIT than sainsburys" (i.e. no plural) which makes it even worse as RABBITS means the animals and RABBIT means MEAT.

the only pet food store remotely near us that does NOT sell animals only stocks the type of hay my rabbits wont have. So I have to go to other places to get them food. Tomorrow I am going to P@H.

(((Senatorvass)))

I doubt the idiot even knows it's a song lyric, he's just repeating something he's been told is amusing, he won't have any idea of the offence he's caused :evil:

I actually didnt know it was a song lyric until your post! Husband has just explained it to me I am not from this country so that little gem managed to pass me by. I was simply upset that he was equating my wonderful little babies (pets HE is selling to hopefully caring homes) to what is for sale on the meat counter.

It was still a very insensitive thing for him to say, I do feel for you. "Yes, we have lots of rabbits" would have done!

It was still a very insensitive thing for him to say, I do feel for you. "Yes, we have lots of rabbits" would have done!

Thanks for not making me feel like I was being over sensitive. I just hated the link between the little animals in those small cages and meat. That is how I perceived it.

Glad I could help, hun, though I'm not sure what knowing Chas n' Dave lyrics does for my street cred! Just showing my age, I guess :lol:

Maybe you could write to them, let them know you were offended - it might at least stop the idiot doing it again?

Yes I think I will anyway to complain about the conditions the rabbits were in. Dont get me wrong it wasnt like... disgusting or dirty or anything. Just lots of rabbits in very small cages.

Back