• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help seen something strange in ted's scent gland

Ted an Petal

Warren Veteran
Just did my rotine check on ted's bum and seen something strange in her left scent gland. it looks like a bit of poo stuck but also something hard, like a bit of hay stuck in it. tried to pick it but seemed to be attached to the skin of the scent gland. is this normal? if not need to get her to the vets.

I think it could be normal. They can get a bit gunky. Your vet can take a look and clean them is necessary or I think some people here clean them themselves. Not sure how though. Dont think you need to worry that it's an emergency though unless the area seems red, inflammed or sore x

:wave: Hi, occasionally Roo,s glands:oops::lol: need a bit of a clean, i use just warm water and then i make sure hes dry.:D Unless as above it becomes inflamed etc i wouldnt worry.:D

aw thankyou ok will maybe getting my husband to help me clean her before i take her to the vets, she's in good form,eating,drinking, pooing etc. i'll give it a clean and see if that helps. thankyou so much, i worry so much for the wee things, husband rolls the eyes but then he gets like that with cars lol haha. thankyou.:lol::love:

Taking ted to the vet's tonight, tried cleaning her but it's really hard and stuck to her, really like the skin has starting growing into it or somethng. hope they can remove it. :(

Hi just to let you's know in case it happens to you bun's, took ted to the vets and he said it was the excretion from the scent gland had formed a waxy plaque and was sticking to her skin. so he picked it off. think it's cause she's so hairy and finds it hard cleaning herself, i do keep her trimmed like but will just have to make sure it doesn't build up again. :p

ooh lovely!!! i remeber oscar had a bit of that..i mistook it for a bit of hard poo coming out his bum except it wasnt..it was his scent gland...i used cotton wool swabs and warm water with a bit of pet tea tree shampoo in it....took a few days bit it came clean. i miss the little scamp:love:

My Benjamin tends to get a waxy build-up in his glands too which sometimes sticks to the skin. We tend to clean them out ourselves about once every 3-4 weeks now I know what it is. Generally hubby will hold Benjamin and tip him back and I wear gloves and dampen the tail area and then push the tail either side to 'pick' out the wax. I can usually do it with my fingertips but you could try using some blunt tweezers and just pull gently. It doesn't seem to hurt Benjamin so I'm sure you would be fine! It's very yuck but saves the stress of vets trips and is over in a second!!! Hope that helps

Back