• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does Stumpy need a run for outside if he is an indoor bun?

jackiestone

Warren Veteran
Stumpy went to stay at my friends house whilst I was on holiday.Stumpy has the run of my utility room and kitchen and is an indoor only bun,although when it has been very hot I put a small run outside in the shade for him.My friend text me whilst on my hols to say that Stumpy likes to run loose outside.When I went to get him he was asleep under a bush.Now what do I do???
I want him indoors as he is on his own and he enjoys our company,but I keep thinking about what my friend said and she thinks he should be out.Do I leave things as they are or buy a big run from zoo plus and give him an hour or so outside every day,or is that just silly,I want the best for him so I need advise please :D

she let him loose in the garden :shock:

Our indoor buns get a run out in the garden if it's warm enough but only in spring and summer ( in a large covered run). The temperature change from outside to inside in winter is too severe (unless it's really mild) to let them outside

i dont think hed miss outside if you kept him indoors... i opened my door today to let the buns out.... 15mins later they came back in and that was it :roll:

personally although I love having indoor buns and think there are a lot of benefits for them when kept indoors, i think most buns appreciate the fresh air, grass and sunlight. I have a spare pen and put my indoor pair outside in it when it's not raining and i have time. there are potential health benefits from exposure to sunlight too althoguh I'm not sure if these have been proved by study or are just hearsay :)

My buns switch around nearly all the time:lol: Normally I find it easier with outdoor runs though since there are no wires there:roll: At the same time I worry they'll dig out... My bunnies haven't shown any preferences to either one.. cept that Aroma was quite often up in the window staring out when she was indoors.
Sasuke had a run inside and tried to dig on my carpet floor.:roll:

I think that fresh air, sunlight, fresh grass are important to buns, and wherever possible I would let him have outside access.

All my buns are outdoor buns,and they love the freedom of being able to bomb around the garden like lightning (which they couldn't do inside with wooden floors and furniture), and they always spend a good hour of their time out trimming the grass for me, so dual purpose - they get a good feed of fresh grass and lots of exercise, and I have less grass to cut!

If Stumpy enjoys outside then I think he should be given the choice, if that's an option for you.

I agree that it's good for everybun to get a chance to have access to grass, sunlight and fresh air. Is it possible to secure your garden enough so you can give him an hour or so of roaming every day (under supervision of course)? As well as having large enclosures, and getting time in runs on the grass, our buns love to have a good scamper and explore around the garden.

My buns are indoors and I open the door for them to have a run around outside supervised. They binky about for about 15 mins then come back in. I leave the door open for a couple of hours sometimes but they don't stay out. I do think that a bit of fresh air is good for them.

All my house bunnies have always spent time out in the garden, though obviously not when the weather is bad or cold. I think the fresh air good for them and they have the chance to nibble on the grass or potter around, it's also stimulating for them to have a change of scenery, just like us! :D

There is no harm in having a run to play in outside :)

Sometimes mine want to play in the garden, sometimes they want to play in the house :) I just let them pick :lol:

Our house bunnies go out for a couple of hours in the run when the weather is fine. It's a nice change of scenery for them ... plus they get to mow my lawn for me!! :lol:

Back