• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay rack or hutch floor?

Daphne & Peanut

Alpha Buck
Hi Everyone

I seem to have a very messy little rabbit!! whenever i put Peanuts hay in his hay rack he just ignores it and stands on his rack, so i have put it on the floor of his hutch , the thing with this is he seems to like lying on it and pooing in it rather than doing this in his liiter tray. Once he lay on the hay he doesn't eat it so any suggestion waht else i can do with his hay?

Also i'm currently introducing veggies to him (he's about 17 weeks old) so far he had carrot , just a small piece once or twice a week and cabbage i have been giving him a palm sized amount of cabbage with a few of his pellets every night now for about 1 week he seems fine on it, shold i now give him more or try him on something new, when would i then need to stop giving him the pellets?

Sorry to ramble any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tamsin & J-P

He needs pellets everyday for the rest of his life. He should be fed twice a day on pellets, and veg once a day. This is how I feed my two.

As for hay, if he isn't using the hay rack, why not try having a hay pile in the hutch, so he can eat it aswell as what ever else he wants. Make sure you change this everyday though!

Unlimited hay needs to be available at all times.
Jack:)

So am i correct in feeding him an egg cup ful in the morning and just under an egg cup ful in the evening with cabbage? With unlitied hay which i change in the morning and in the evening?

Cheers

So am i correct in feeding him an egg cup ful in the morning and just under an egg cup ful in the evening with cabbage? With unlitied hay which i change in the morning and in the evening?

Cheers

Hiya :wave: A rabbits diet is 80% hay, followed by veg and pellets. It sounds like your giving him the right amount of pellets as hes a growing boy :) He can have cabbage/spring greens or whatever he has every evening (this is how my babies know its bed time :))

As for the hay, what sort of hay does he have?? maybe its worth changing it if hes not eating it?? With regards to the hay rack, not all of my bunnies use a hay rack, my current foster buns pull their hay rack off as soon as its put on!! So i just give them a nice big pile of hay every morning and make sure theres plently there before bed. One of my own bunnies, George, sits in his hay rack :) weird i know.

What litter do you use in his tray?? If your using hay in that aswell he may be getting confused?

xXx

A lot of people put hay in the litter tray, or in a hay rack above the litter tray (that's what I do)

A lot of people put hay in the litter tray, or in a hay rack above the litter tray (that's what I do)

Yup because they eat and poop at the same time :oops: Clever things! What i meant is if theres hay all over the floor and in the litter tray maybe bunny does know which is which? if that makes sense?? :?

Some rabbits will go to the toilet whereever there is hay, so I have quite a bit of hay in their litter tray. Could you try a smaller hay rack? Mine is quite thin and the rabbit wouldn't be able to sit on it

My rabbits won't eat hay out of their hay rack :roll::lol: I put it on top of their hutch (which is in their run) as thats where they always sit.

I bought one of those wire veg balls, I stuff it with hay and hang it on the side of the run, it has a little bell as well:D they love it, and they can't push it off like the hay rack!

two of mine love it if i stuff a toilet roll with hay - so it's really hanging out - they throw it around and then realise that its tastes good too and have a little munch!

doesn't work on them all though - another of my rabbits will just eat the toilet roll and ignore the hay! :rolleyes:

Well i've just bought a wire ball which i have stuffed with hay and thats dangling from the roof of his run, i've also lowered his hay rack AND put some hay in the corner of his hutch so i'm now going to see which he seems to prefer and take it from there!

Thank you everyonr for you help with this. xx

Back