• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Syringe med. problem :(

Laura416

Warren Scout
Mimi's ears are both infected :( She's got baytrill again and now an oral med. I'm near tears right now, I CANNOT hold her down, she's a fighter. She has to get it 2x/day and I'm finding that if I put a tiny bit on her paw she'll clean it off but, oh, the struggle. What's most frustrating is that everyone at the vet insists, "Just wrap her up like a little burrito [in the towel]" - it's NOT that easy! Am I the only one who has trouble handling their bunny? :(

Edit: Sorry if this is in the wrong section!

We found it very hard to give our Rex panacur using the syringe. It's almost impossible to syringe feed into her mouth, even with two of us. She struggles so hard even in a burrito, kicking her legs and wriggling out, you have to keep such a tight grip on her I was afraid we may be hurting her.

Someone suggested in another thread feeding it on a banana and she takes it with no problem at all (though even more happily with nectarine:)). Does Mimi have a food she'd be prepared to eat even if it had meds on?

GENIUS! Thank you SO MUCH, your response makes me feel so much better (was feeling like some terrible, freak-bunny-mommy) And YES, bananas did it before! I used them when she had a pill, fantastic idea! Wasn't sure it could work w/ a liquid but just might...

And nectarine, huh? She never tried those, can they have some peach? I've got those on hand...

Again, thanks for letting me know I'm not alone in this! xxx

This place is great for tips like this. Helped me out a load :)

A little bit of peach is fine as I understand it. Since it's a liquid med, maybe mix it with a bit of juice from the peach?

Good luck!

I found it impossible to wrap my bunny in a towel to give him baytril too! I was so tired at about 3.00 am and he was so cross with me!

Mine like bread and he took the baytril on bread quite happily. (Once he'd had his dental that is!)

Thanks, BunnyBuddy! Bread, bananas...I'm so glad I have options to the syringe right now! (not that I'm looking forward to tonight ;) ).

I put the baytril in basil leaves, had to do a tiny bit at a time then fold them up like wee packages, kermit scoffed them down.

Great idea, Tomhighway!! Thanks for the reply :) *getting nervous as this evening gets closer* 2 wks of this!!

I had to give kermit baytril for 6 weeks :shock:

It was a nightmare to begin with as i was trying th syringe way with himn wrapped in a towel, kermit would freak right out even from me trying to get him in the towel, never mind trying to hold him and shove the syringe in his mouth

Then i read a post from someone on here who was talking about panacur paste in a basil leaf and i thought id try that with the baytril, i was amazed, he took it first time, and i never had to wrestle with him to get him in the towel!!

Good luck - let us know how it goes :)

the vets use towel. Thus, it's the most useful trick. I use towel too. You wrap the towel in multiple wrap and do it tight, then you put the bun around you and insert the syringe in the mouth. IT wokrs every time

I had problems too when my French lop had an infection after neutering and was prescribed baytril. He was so strong and was impossible to manage on my own so I found coriander or parsley worked well hiding the medicine. Good luck!!! Always lovely when you get to the last dose. LOL. Pam

Banana & some parsley worked last night! I left it w/ her in the cage and she ate it, my feeding her wasn't wanted, haha. Thanks again! There's a bit of a struggle now but...we'll get it ;)

the vets use towel. Thus, it's the most useful trick. I use towel too. You wrap the towel in multiple wrap and do it tight, then you put the bun around you and insert the syringe in the mouth. IT wokrs every time

As you'll see from all the other replies, the towel is can be challenging & not just for me. I understand the concept of wrapping her; easier said than done. Maybe your rabbit's more docile than mine.

Glad you found a way that worked for you and Mimi. I remember the fear we had doing this stuff, so it's a huge relief when you find something less stressful. :)

Oral meds are a nightmare.Imagine trying to wrap a conti in a towel and giving oral meds with no one to help.When i had to give Bugsy Zantac I put it in a basil leaf and then put mint on top It disguised the smell and he gobbled it up.If i have to give them baytril I always ask for the injectable form.Its so much easier.

I'm currently having this exact same problem trying to force feed Toby, my six-month-old dwarf bunny, some Oxbow Critical Care. He completely freaks out when the syringe goes near his mouth and I've tried to wrap him in a blanket/towel dozens of times and it never works. I can hardly get him to sit still long enough to wrap one end of the towel over him.

I'm currently looking for alternative ways to get him to eat it, because at this point the syringe feeding is impossible. =_=; I'll mixing a bunch of banana in with it and maybe it'll mask the bad smell/taste of the Oxbow.

i have found it always kinder first to just try it on there favorite treat before meal time, so a, they will be hungry b. its there favourite, i know this doesnt work all the time, must admit i am very lucky that 9 of my buns the others are too young all love panacure, linus was a pickle to take his meds for when he had dental, i couldnt hold him the only way he worked is by backing into a corner tlking and soothing first letting them relax a bit, then just offer the syringe linus used to wrestle with it, but i was able to push the stuff in while he was doing this, and in the end it was "oh if i must " and hed polish it off

not the only 1

What a nightmare we had with Angel. Nothing worked for us and she didnt eat at the time she wont take stuff from you. She has deformed mouth and made horrid noises so our vet gave us needles and we had/have to inject her. She aint bothered at all. Some buns are easier than others and obv some methods work for some people and not others. We cant even tip Angel on her back sounds daft but its impossible but bet million people on here say its easy. Winnie is no bother hell tell you when he wants medicine!
Glad its working and dont worry too much as bun will sense this!

Back