• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Left out in run at night or not?

Do you leave your rabbits with 24 access to a run?

• Yes if its safe in the day its just as safe at night.,

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • No . Wouldnt risk it.

Votes: 43 58.9%
  • Just as confused about what to do.

Votes: 6 8.2%

• Total voters

Milo+Fizz

Mama Doe
Following on from another thread I thought id get everyones opinions on this. My rabbits get locked in their shed at night but I know alot of people allow theirs to have 24 access to their run. Im confident my run is secure (as it can be)as its a well made aviary that has double mesh one on the inside and one on the outside of it. I only worry that the sight of a fox may be fatal :cry:. Ive never needed to bother before as both pairs would run in for pellets now however Roo and Sally have wised up and run in grab a mouth full and dart straight back out so I feel guilty as they really dont want to be in. They spend most of their time in the run when not freerange so I feel bad.

Heres why I ask what do yours do at night???

99% of the time I lock them in the shed. We have reinforced the "old" run which is solid and attached to concrete floor. We did this for when we go away and someone is looking after them for us.

When we are here they are tucked up and locked up each night.

I think it might have been the thread I posted on that has prompted this poll.

I allow all of my bunnies access to all of their accommodation 24/7.

They all either have a large hutch/wendy house or shed with secure runs with strong closing lids on hard standing. They are secure enough during the day (when foxes and hawks etc are about) so why not the night time. Should the rabbits wish to hide as they would do in the wild, they can go inside their accommodation or tunnels. But there is no more likelyhood of a preditor getting in to my bunnies during day light as there is at night. I am confident that I have done all I can to give them space and security. All the accommodations and runs have either strong bolts or hasp, staple and padlocks and or cabiniere clips on them. I feel that my buns are able to demonstrate more of their natural behavior by giving them all the space all the time.

I do, however, recognise that this would not be a good idea with some of the accommodation and run sets ups that people have. I particularly don't like some shop bought runs as they don't seem to be as heavy or well made as home made ones. Foxes have been known to lift up runs. There would be no chance of this happening with ours as they are too bloomi' heavy!

Helen

I give mine access at all times and have voted accordingly. Their accommodation is secure and I've never seen a fox (or any sign of one) since we moved into this house a few years back. I wouldn't feel right confining them at night, since I know they are very active overnight.

I think it might have been the thread I posted on that has prompted this poll.

I allow all of my bunnies access to all of their accommodation 24/7.

They all either have a large hutch/wendy house or shed with secure runs with strong closing lids on hard standing. They are secure enough during the day (when foxes and hawks etc are about) so why not the night time. Should the rabbits wish to hide as they would do in the wild, they can go inside their accommodation or tunnels. But there is no more likelyhood of a preditor getting in to my bunnies during day light as there is at night. I am confident that I have done all I can to give them space and security. All the accommodations and runs have either strong bolts or hasp, staple and padlocks and or cabiniere clips on them. I feel that my buns are able to demonstrate more of their natural behavior by giving them all the space all the time.

I do, however, recognise that this would not be a good idea with some of the accommodation and run sets ups that people have. I particularly don't like some shop bought runs as they don't seem to be as heavy or well made as home made ones. Foxes have been known to lift up runs. There would be no chance of this happening with ours as they are too bloomi' heavy!

Helen

It wasnt that thread that made me ask this it was one posted this morning:). Thanks for your replys evryone :D

No. I shut the cat flap so they stay in the shed at night.
The run i have is totally secure, so heavy 3 people struggle to move it and on paving slabs so no digging in/out, i just wouldn't like to risk it. We back onto a lot of large fields and with the shed being across the garden, chances are we might not here any commotion if anything was bothering them, whereas in the day someone is always around the house.
I wish i could leave the run open for night too but i would rather not risk it.

Mine are locked in hutches in sheds at night, theres too many foxes in the area. I'd be worried sick all night if they were out

I am of the opinion that if the run is secure enough for daytime use then it is secure enough for night time use as well... HOWEVER, although foxes will come into some gardens during the day they are more prevelant at night (in my experience anyhow)!

A rabbit will be frightened at the sight and I guess even the smell of a fox - if shut in a shed then the smell will be lessened and they won't catch sight of it. Like you my run is solid, heavy and can't be moved easily - so I guess it's a case of them being "emmotianally" safe as well as "physically" safe?

I don't know what's best, I know the rabbits are very active at dawn and it's a shame to shut them up as physically they are safe out in the run, however I wouldn't want them to endure unnecessary stress from being out - which they could be saved from if shut in.

I don't know the answer!

Hannah

I voted "YES". Mine are totally safe as the run is made with heavy duty weld mesh and Mr Fox would need to use bolt cutters to break in.:D

Hmm im still on the verge, i really dont know what to do but mine currently get put in their hutches at night. I do agree with what people are saying, if the hutch is secure in the day then it is at night but hubby says theres too many foxes round here :( And of course the big black cat on cannock chase :shock: :lol:

Do you like near the chase milo and fizz?? (sorry dont know your name :oops:

Hmm im still on the verge, i really dont know what to do but mine currently get put in their hutches at night. I do agree with what people are saying, if the hutch is secure in the day then it is at night but hubby says theres too many foxes round here :( And of course the big black cat on cannock chase :shock: :lol:

Do you like near the chase milo and fizz?? (sorry dont know your name :oops:

Yes its just up the road, but on a good note I have heard urban foxes are braver than rural as they have more need to enter gardens because there is less natural prey? :? Dont know how brave our native black cat is though :shock: :lol:. Ive never seen a fox in my garden but I am aware they may be there. I just dont know what to do:?. I have the added bonus of next doors dog living straight behind the fence next to the rabbits so strong urine smell to deter the foxs. Names Shell by the way lol.

Yes its just up the road, but on a good note I have heard urban foxes are braver than rural as they have more need to enter gardens because there is less natural prey? :? Dont know how brave our native black cat is though :shock: :lol:. Ive never seen a fox in my garden but I am aware they may be there. I just dont know what to do:?. I have the added bonus of next doors dog living straight behind the fence next to the rabbits so strong urine smell to deter the foxs. Names Shell by the way lol.

Ive never seen a fox in our garden either :? Still not sure whether to leave them out or not. We also have a dog :) But shes useless!! Barks for no reason, then when somethings around she hides :? As for the black cat... gawd people round here are crazy ay? :lol: Will soon change to the half man half beast thing so we'll have one less worry :roll:

Ive never seen a fox in our garden either :? Still not sure whether to leave them out or not. We also have a dog :) But shes useless!! Barks for no reason, then when somethings around she hides :? As for the black cat... gawd people round here are crazy ay? :lol: Will soon change to the half man half beast thing so we'll have one less worry :roll:

Have you not seen all the deer remains in the chase post, they dont die of natural causes or road accidents you know. Must be a wild cat on the loose :roll: I notice your the same age as me, what school did you go to?

Have you not seen all the deer remains in the chase post, they dont die of natural causes or road accidents you know. Must be a wild cat on the loose :roll: I notice your the same age as me, what school did you go to?

Yup i have :( the pics are awful :( I guess there must be something over there but what... well i dunno :? Will be scared to go in the garden tonight now :oops:

I went to Norton High :) What about you??

Back