• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm awake... there was a fox in the garden again! :-(

I was lying in bed awake anyhow, don't know why I couldn't sleep but then heard a rabbit thumping... immediatly worried that something was wrong I looked out and could see a fox out there! Went downstairs and turned on all the lights (outside as well) and the fox went from the rabbit area off up the garden. I "think" he left the garden over the fence into next doors garden but I can't be sure (we've lots of trees and bushes at that part of the garden so I can't see).

Anyhow I've left the lights on hoping it will deter him from coming back, but the thing is this is the second night in a row that a fox has been in the garden and I've worried he's going to keep coming back :(. I was woken yesterday at 3.30 for the same reason and of course disturbed him.

I have to say I caught him/her in the light of the flood light and he/she was beautiful... but why oh why... it's only nature for them I know... but I don't want it in my back garden...

Hope I've made sense... off back to bed now... ears forever open for any disturbance though..

Hannah

How worrying :(

I'm assuming you already have secure hutches (padlocks and strong wire etc)?

I don't have outside buns so am not much help I'm afraid.

I've heard that human pee (I'm pretty sure its human pee) can deter them, as gross as it sounds, could you get a guy to pee around the hutch/garden area where the fox is? :?

Have you got a shed or can you bring your bunnies in at night?Im affraid the fox will keep coming back.Even if your buns are in a secure hutch they could still die from shock as once the fox smells them It will be all over the hutch trying to find ways to get in.

Have you got a shed or can you bring your bunnies in at night?Im affraid the fox will keep coming back.Even if your buns are in a secure hutch they could still die from shock as once the fox smells them It will be all over the hutch trying to find ways to get in.Ive seen them in my garden bouncing off the runs and running up and down the length of the runs.The rabbits just freak out and run up and down trying to get away from the fox.

Foxes are persistant and it will keep coming back until he gets your bunnies!, the fox knows there are bunnies there and will be back night after night until he can get them so please do something about it now before it's too late,

Your bunnies could be terrified too, they will smell the fox and be petrified

Do you have a very big garden? The small holders up the road from us have free range hens and they've run and electrified wire about 6" above their fence to keep the foxes out. It seems to have worked so far. The hens are locked in their barns overnight though.

Thanks for all you replies. Yes I have strong wire and bolts etc and it's a double door to the shed as it had the wooden door (open during the day and closed at night) and an inner wire one. Bringing them inside isn't really an option.

I know they were frightened as I went out to see them... I do feel bad and I am honestly thinking about what I can do to make it more secure, I'm looking into having electic fencing around it on at night - seen it on chicken sites but I don't know if the bunnies might sense the charge and be frightened as well (kind of defeating the object). Also though of tying the cat to the shed all night, but that seems a bit cruel to her :shock:

We've always had visiting foxes for as long as I can remember (and I've lived here 20 years now) but this one seems persistent coming two nights in a row!

At least it's morning now it's Saturday so people will be out and about...

Hannah

What do you mean?, tying a cat to the shed?:shock::shock::shock:what for?

Sorry I was of course only teasing, but when I went to Tiddywinkles Wildlife Rescue it said that foxes were scared of cats! So I though Willow could earn her keep! Emphasis I am only joking here - realise it may not have come accross too well...

Hannah

Sorry I was of course only teasing, but when I went to Tiddywinkles Wildlife Rescue it said that foxes were scared of cats! So I though Willow could earn her keep! Emphasis I am only joking here - realise it may not have come accross too well...

Hannah

Crikey....I went on to panic mode:oops::oops:

Trust me foxes are not scared of cats, if the fox can't get your bunny it will take your cat!!

Get your dad to pee around the area the fox entered the garden..if he does it last thing at night it will be stronger to fox..and as gross as it sounds ..if he could pee in a bottle and leave an open dish/pot with some in near the rabbit hutch..would have to do this for every night..at least a week...it's your dad marking his territory

Did fox climb over fence? if so..buy some gripper rod or thsose plastic strips with spikes and attach to top of fence..won't stop but may deter:?
If buns are in a hutch/run that has wire parts cover them securely at night..if they cannot see the fox they will feel safer/less likely to die of fright....also it is another layer for fox to get through..again if you are able to attach wooden shutters(with air holes of course) you could attach gripper rod to these..also on top of hutch in case fox jumps on top...only worry with gripper rod is your cat:? Is your puss kept in at night?

I get my lads to pee on the boundaries of the garden :shock: Also dog pee is meant to put them off :)

Trust me the pee really does not work as well as a good electric fence!!!

See Forsham arks for the sort of bungee fencing that is suitable round runs and sheds. Has worked a treat for us! We have it on the run roof as well.

Turn it off in the day when buns are out and on at night.

I,m awake-there was a fox in the garden again!

Only in your garden:shock:your LUCKY:shock:I have just had to chase one out of my lounge:oops:;):lol:
I have to keep my old cat safely indoors otherwise she would become dinner:shock::cry:so NO they are not frightned of cats:cry:

Thanks for everyone's advice. I haven't seen hide no hear of a fox the last couple of nights - although on Sunday night I woke up a few time thinking "what that noise... *panic* oh it's laughter"... I think my neighbours were having a party until about 4.30 in the morning!

My rabbits are in a shed so I can shut them away from the sight of a fox at night.

Can't believe those people who have had foxes in their house - I don't know what I'd do, I get enough of a shock when I find our neighbours cat asleep somewhere!

As for gripper rod and the like, I would be worried about using it - our cat is mostly in a night buy Max (our neighbours cat) is in the garden almost all of the time - day or night (I feel sorry for him to be honest but that's another story).

I was worried the other night as well, because when I went out to check on the rabbits I accidently let Willow (cat) out and she wouldn't come back in. Fox = large... Willow = small! Although I think she would have a better turn of speed and increased ability to climb one of the many trees!

Hannah

If the light bothered the fox could you fix up a PIR sensor light at the bottom of the garden?

I'm just looking into buying a solar powered one for the bottom of my garden where my bunny sheds are.

Back