• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Feeding Bunny with no front teeth - Advice Req'd

Madmoo

Alpha Buck
Hi All

I would be grateful if someone could give me advice in respect of my latest foster bun, Hope. She was taken in to our local vet as a stray. She seems to be quite a young rabbit, but she has no front teeth. These must have been removed at some point in her past.

She is managing fine with her pellets, but has had little to no hay at all. I try to put her out in the run on the grass as often as possible as she eats that. Have been grating things such as carrot and apple for her and she scoffs it.

Has anyone had similar experiences with a bun who can give me some advice on making sure she's getting everything she needs please? :)

Here she is:

DSCF1812.jpg

DSCF1808.jpg

aaahhhhhhhh sweety!

My no front teeth bun (the very loved and missed Sage could cope with everything except grass straight off the lawn and large chunks of veg. I am sure she will start on hay soon.

Jess has no front teeth and cope very well, maybe try cutting the hay into shorter lengths and shredding any green veg so it is easier to take.

She's lovely.

You could try chopping the hay up into tiny bits. Also try a very soft leafy hay, as meadow hay will be a little too coarse when she tries to pick it up. I would also cut the grass for her and give her as much as she wants to eat!

Thanks for all your replies - im very grateful for any advice. Just wanna do whats best for this little bun. :)

Some rabbits find eating peelings easier than grated veg as they have something which they can pull into their mouths. Do experiment with pellets as again some find tiny pellets easier than bigger ones and vice versa.

Hay cut into small sections for some is easier, also put the hay in different places, some find it easier if it is hang up so bits are sticking out rather than if it is laying on a floor. You will find somethings that work with one bun doesnt with another, it is about trial and error.

the hay experts sell these pelelts specially designed for buns with missing teeth....

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Foo...kg.392.html?osCsid=7onbvah5pr1aa45066uvir5ic2

also feed shorter lengths of soft grass or broad leafy hay.....as someones already suggested. kibbles also had misaligned jaw so she didnt eat hay well....i was a novice and only fed her pet store meadow hay:oops:

she had her carrot grated but also luvd the sliced washed curly kale....spring greens and sliced pear..she was never a fan of apples but loved ehr odd treat of pear:) hard to belive shes been gone 5 years now:(

Jess has no front teeth and cope very well, maybe try cutting the hay into shorter lengths and shredding any green veg so it is easier to take.

She's lovely.

try long lengths of hay too. my french lop Pierre had his front 6 teeth removed but he finds it hard to pick up short lengths of hay. the only hay i can get him to eat is the long medow hay type.

Oh, she's beautiful!
Squidgy has no front teeth, and I chop his hay up for him and cut his veggies into strips. He eats them like one big length of spaghetti!

my bunny got his front teeth removed about a month ago and i worried he would struggle eating, the night after his op. he ate all his hay and veggies. i have to cut up his veggies but he manages hay fine, for some buns it could take time to get the hang of it. :D:wave:

Back