• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is it safe to leave

he's been to the vets today, and had lots of tests, vet said we could operate or not, but as he is not insured it would be very expensive in cats and dogs it costs between a grand and two grand :shock:
he is now on lapizole 28day course for EC too

aww hun why didnt ya have him insured it only costs me 17 pound a month for my 2 with petplan :) its well worth it if ya ever need it as you do now thats a shame hun :)

Hi, I have a bun with 'tunnel vision' the vet said, not exactly cataracts but a blueness in the eyes and she is fine. I also have a one eyed bun who is developing a cataract in her single eye and she is fine. I also have an elderly guinea pig with cataracts and she is fine. I personally haven't even thought about an op because of the risks, when it isn't life threatening, and they adapt so well to poor eyesight/blindness, as long as mine are aware of me being around and i ensure they are in a secure environment they are fine.
Mine aren't insured either, with the amount of animals I have it is better to put money away every month- I have £500 put away to cover vet bills every month, but I have a lot of animals.

I have had and have a few buns with cataracts and they are fine :D Sir Speedy Socks is as blind as a bat and you can see the cataracts quite clearly - but it doesn't bother him and has never bothered any of the buns that have had them.

I would leave him as he is, he's not in pain and is not distressed - you will find that he adapts and you just have to make sure that as his sight fails that you put things in the places that he knows:D

if it was me, i would weigh up the risks. think how humans feel with cataracts too.

and also lisa, i would recommend you get them insured.

hope mowgli is ok x

I have had and have a few buns with cataracts and they are fine :D Sir Speedy Socks is as blind as a bat and you can see the cataracts quite clearly - but it doesn't bother him and has never bothered any of the buns that have had them.

I would leave him as he is, he's not in pain and is not distressed - you will find that he adapts and you just have to make sure that as his sight fails that you put things in the places that he knows:D

regarding insurance, will they qualify now with being aged 5 and 6yrs?

regarding insurance, will they qualify now with being aged 5 and 6yrs?

Have a look on the petplan website - you enter your pet's breed and age, any pre-existing health problems, etc, and they give you a quote. It might be a pound or 2 more expensive to insure an older animal but they still do I think.

Back