• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have a sick rabit and the vet wont see me til tomorrow! Doing much better now

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I can't believe it, I rang up and spoke to a nurse, who spoke to a vet for me who said we are full tonight, syringe feed her and come in at midday tomorrow.

I am completely gobsmacked, they are normally so good up there but for some reason it has been really hard getting an appointment recently. I had to wait 8 days for an appointment for my cat as she has a chronic skin problem, which then became infected while we waited for the appointment:shock:

Anyway, I'm not sure what to do now. It's Liquorice who is sick. She has stopped eating for the past few hours, she is relatively lively but doesn't seem comfortable. What worries me the most is I can feel a large hard lump on her right hand side just below her ribs. I've never felt anything like it before. I don't know if it is a blockage or something sinister. Either way it's not good in my opinion. She is 6 years old and was Neutered about 10 days ago, which took her a few days to recover from but until now seemed back to her normal self.

I don't think I should be syringe feeding her if it could be a blockage. I told the vets about the lump but they said to syringe feed.

Any advice gratefully recieved

Last edited:
:shock: OMG really sorry, sending vibes for bun, im sure someone with experience will soon be along.Fingers crossed for you.

There is one other vet in town. They are absolutely rubbish I wouldn't trust them with any of my animals :roll:

Turn up at the surgery and demand that they see the bunny, it could be a hernia if she was speyed recently, do you keep your spey confined to a small cage for a week when they have been done?

She was confined for around 4 days and has been in her hutch since then. She hasn't been out in the garden since it was done. This is such a worry.

What do hernias feel like, do they stick out? there is nothing visible when I turn her over, I have to push quite hard to feel it. She is still shaved which makes it easier to see any problems

so would i too dont be worrying all night whether ya bunny guna be ok just go to the vets and tell em you need to see 1 tonight :)

If she has stopped eating then the Vet who operated on her are obliged to see her. She may have adhesions from the spay. She may have an abscess.
It may be a hernia. If the latter then the intestines effected may become devoid of a blood supply and will die off.

I would just turn up and refuse to budge til she has been seen

Good luck :)

:shock::shock: Oh no!
Our vets have an open surgery, which can sometimes be really annoying, but most of the time is an absolute godsend.

I really hope you get to see the vet. If not, we'll ALL go and beat them up :shock::evil:

I would just turn up and demand to see a vet, she really needs to be seen Liz

When i read your initial post i thought this straightaway. Just go and say she needs to be seen immediatley. They're hardly gonna manhandle you from the property. They'll prob see her just to get you out the place ;) Joking aside, i would definitely go chick, honest.

Lisa and the buns xx

I've just got back. They actually rang me back at 6.20 and said to go straight away as they had a gap. They were really nice to me when I got there so goodness knows what the nurse was doing when I rang the first time.

Liquorice has had xrays, her stomach is completely impacted, which was my initial thought. She has had a metacam injection and zantac injection plus loads of fluids. I need to continue with these for the next 24 hours plus infacol and pinapple juice in which time we should see some improvement. If she doesn't improve within 24 hours her out look isn't good :(

At least it doesn't appear to be related to her spay. I just hope I can get her through this. Thanks for the advice, I think I was so shocked that they wouldn't see me I went braindead for half an hour :lol: There is no way I would have left her til the morning, I had already rung Steve at work to ask him to take me to the emergency vet when he finished work but that wouldn't have been until 10pm.

Phew! Glad they would see you. I assume they know you quite well, and know you're not a timewaster!

Hope Liquorice starts to feel better soon.

Back