• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental - how long should we wait? Advice needed!!

xSarahx

Warren Scout
We took Digby to the vets today as last night & this morning he's been off his hay. He's been sneezing a little & has a bit of a wet nose. He keeps making eating movements with his mouth even when he isn't chewing anything. He's eating pellets & carrots etc. but not at his usual speed.

I suspected it was a problem with his back teeth & the vet says she can see some small spurs, but will know more when he's under aesthetic. She also said there might be a respiratory problem, but couldn't be sure as his breathing was really heavy due to vet stress. They don't have an appointments available for his dental op until first thing Tuesday. They've given me Baytril to give to him twice a day.

So, my question is should I wait that long or try & book him in with another vet sooner? I don't want to wait until he's really uncomfortable, not eating etc.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Well George started having probs with his back teeth on Monday, stopped eating Tuesday and had his Dental Wednesday since then I have been syringe feeding him every few hrs until about 1 hr ago when he ate by himself for the first time. I would say if he needs a dental he needs 1 ASAP. Vets don't generally do dentals over the weekend unless in emergencies-in my opinion an anorexic rabbit classes as an emergency.

I think you'll struggle to find him another Vet before tuesday, well without paying an arm and leg in emergency fees.

Can you syringe feed him until then? it's very important he keeps eating

He needs pain relief. If he has molar spurs they will hurt.
Even if you cant get his Dental done til Tuesday the Vet must provide adequate analgesia in the meantime.

Gah, I am getting so sick of hearing of Vets who dont equate Rabbits with pain relief....:censored:
Sorry, not ranting at you. Its obvious you are doing all you can for your Bun but I get exasperated reading so many posts concerning Buns who obviously need pain relief and the Vet fails to prescribe it !!

I hope your Buns Dental goes well :)

Thank you for your advice.
Yes, I asked about pain relief, especially as he has to wait so flippin' long to have his dental, & it's the weekend so if he gets worse I can even give him anything to make him feel better :( The vet said their isn't a pain relief drug made just for bunny teeth & if she did give him anything it would wear off after one day & any prolonged use of it pre op could cause complications ie. diarrhoea etc.

I'm keeping a close eye on him. He's eating (he loves his food, bless him) but I've been grating, chopping & mashing his food to help him out. If there is any change I will be onto the vets emergency line.

Would you recommend getting him some pain relief from another vet as mine is not completely local & I wouldn't get there before they close?

ps. a bit random but can bunnies drink cool green tea?

Metacam is safe for rabbits and can be given daily. It really does help with the pain in their mouth. One of my rabbits needs regular dentals and I always give him daily metacam if he shows signs of discomfort until he has his dental. My vet told me to do this and there has never been any complications from it :)

I'm not really sure about the tea :?:

Back