• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cats & Bunnies.....

Julia123

Warren Veteran
I have a dilemma, one of my ex's is going to have to start working away soon and he has asked if I will take the cats.

We have been split up for over 3 years now and its been that long since I saw my beloved cats - I'd love to have them but.....

Will they attack the bunnies? I have 2 free range house buns.

I have a main road at the back of my house and if I had cats before I wouldn't have bought the house as the risks of them getting run over are very high...

4 furry things running around my little house....

Would the bunnies eat the cat food?

Can bunnies get fleas from cats or any other illnesses?

Molly cat has diabetes and needs insulin injections, could this affect bunnies?

Any help thoughts advice appreciated...

Thanks

JX

In my experience the cat will mostly ignore the bunnies, domestic rabbits are a lot bigger than wild ones and so the cat will tend to be intimidated by them. My rabbits would try and eat the cat food so we feed him on top of the freezer.

My cats and rabbits get on fine, I never leave them unsupervised, but this is more because I worry about the rabbits attacking the cats! :lol:

Yes rabbits could get fleas, but only if the cats get them and obviously you'd be keeping them frontlined etc.

Can't see that bunnies would eat the cat foods but you could always set up a 'cat only' area thats seperate and only the cats can get to.

Only issue I could see is the potential for litter tray confusion! :shock: :lol:

I find usually it's the other way round, the rabbits attack the cats! :lol:

you could try slowly bonding them I suppose, get them used to each other but keep them separate if you're not around to supervise them, so you could set up the cat's feeding areas in another room?

I have 3 cats and 5 rabbits with absolutely no problems- the buns are outdoor but often free range.
In the beginning there was a bit of interest (before Blackberry was spayed and when she was a housebun she would try to hump poor Charlie Cat while he was eating his dinner- he was terrified and ran a mile if he saw her) but now they barely take notice of each other.
The cats don't eat the rabbit food- and vice versa- it just doesn't smell right.

I would be worried more about the cats and the main road.
I have twice lived on a busy road with cats- in both cases the busy road was at the front of the house- we had a porch in both houses- and the cats were never allowed out the front- in theory they could get round to the front but we were lucky and they didn't. It used to worry me though.

My cats eat the bunnies pellets but the buns arent interested in the cats food. DO you have a room that could maybe become a bunny room?

i have 8 garden rabbits but they r always running round. Its usually the buns who chase the 2cats. one of my cats sleeps in the hutches with them

I've been giving it lots of thought, and my main worry is the main road at the back, the problem is that Molly will be hard to re-home as a diabetic (she needs injections daily and special food), I have spoken to my ex and he has agreed thay they can be split as they are not really companions. We would love to find them a home together but if not I will keep Molly as a house cat - it breaks my heart as My boy Jake was always so special to me and I would love to have them both back - but I would never forgive myself if he came to live with me and got run over :cry::cry::cry::cry: He just wouldn't be happy as a house cat as he is a real wonderer...

I have 4 of each & all are house buns/cats. We moved here in March & until then Dylan was an outdoor cat. Hes settled in lovely. My buns definately rule the roost & willchase the cats off their food.

Buns & cats can share fleas but as long as you keep the cats frontlined neither cat nor bun will get fleas.

Diabetes is not infectious & cannot be caught

If I was you Id at least give it a try You never know you may all live happily ever after

My cat is scared of all but one of my rabbits. The only rabbit he gets along with is the house bunny and most of the time the cat just ignores him. I'd never leave them unsupervised though so when we're out the rabbit is shut in the dining room/kitchen. Rabbit does not touch cats food but the cat will eat the occassional pellet :roll: But to get his own back the rabbit will drink the cats water and do his business in the cats little tray :roll:

This is getting really hard. Is there anyone in the West Midlands who could offer a home to one or both of them? If it comes to it I will take them but if they get run over I will never forgive myself.....:cry::cry::cry:

Back