• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice on dodgy tum

niks

Warren Scout
I rehomed a french lop male approx 3 and half who came with his dwarf lop girlfriend. The day he came to me i took him to the vets as he had runny eyes and they kept him in over night to flush out his eyes. They have given me some cream to put near his eyes as he had lost a lot of fur around it and he seems a lot better.

The problem is they live in my utility room at night and although both are litter trained and very good the frenchie seems to get a very dodgy tum, mainly at night. I come down in the morning and it can be a bit of a mess as well as on his fur. I am feeding them both burgess excell which is what they were on before and veg most days. They have hay in the litter tray so there is constant access to that. They usually go out in the garden free range so can eat grass if they want and excersise.

I am a bit worried as his tum does not seem to have settled even though I have had him a few weeks now. His girlfriend is fine. It is not as if he is on oral medication which could be upsetting him.

Sorry for long post but has anyone got any ideas??? I have two other frenchies and a dwarf lop and they are fine.

The first thing that comes to mind is if he has problems with his eyes, has he had his teeth checked? Dental issues can cause problems with eyes and with cleaning their bottoms.

If his teeth are OK, it may be worth changing the pellets and/or reducing the amount.

vet said his teeth were fine. I think i will try and reduce the amount of pellets he has

After Fudge died, Jessica started to do the same thing. We did get her teeth checked and they needed a bit of work, the vet was going to tidy them when she was spayed, but the spay too longer than expected so he left for another time. However, since she's been bonded with Jess and Snowy, she's cleared up and I wonder if she was either depressed or it was stress related.

Burgess Excell is known to cause excess caecals in some Rabbits.
I would advise you to feed just hay and water for 24-48 hours. Add a probiotic such as Bio-Lapis to the drinking water. His tummy should settle and I would then introduce a tiny portion of Science Selective Pellets. I have never had a problem with putting a Bun straight onto these regardless of what dried food they have had before. Another Pellet feed that is good is A+P Natural Rabbit Pellets. But these are harder to source than SS (they are much, much cheaper though !!) and I think they only come in 20kg sacks.

:)

Back