• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

feeding Time

Nic Nou 26

Warren Scout
Hello,

My buns currently have a diet of Excel and Hay. I continually keep their hay topped up but on the advice of my vet have cut down the excel. Basically we keep finding squashed poo which we have now discovered is there (cant spell it so will call it) the poo that they eat....

The vet basically said that because they are having to much excel they are not wanting to eat the poo. If that makes sense.

I basically cover the bottom of their bowls (they have 2 because Dora pushes Roger out!) But they have started to beg. While im at work, when mum goes to talk to them they beg for food, especially Dora. Mum actually phoned me at work because she thought I'd forgotten to feed them!! Which I hadnt!

I also got them some Timothy Hay the other night and have been giving them a handfull a couple of times a day to get them used to is.

My question is am I feeding them enough? Are they being naughty trying to get extra food from mum or are they genuinly hungry? I dont want to over feed them but am terrified if they are hungry they will go into Stassis!

Any help would be great!

My buns appear hungry constantly! They have their SS for breakfast and then that's it until their greens in the evening. Of course, they have lots and lots of hay all day ... and keeping them "hungry" ensures that they eat hay! Bunnies need to graze all day - that's the kind of animal they are. I'm sure they're getting enough food :) Our buns are in "perfect condition" according to our vet and from what I've seen with other people's buns, overfed buns are sluggish and very inactive ... wheras mine are lively and inquisitive ALL the time!! x

Alfie's a bit of a greedy monster too and does a great job of looking hungry even if he's just eaten. :roll:

Mine are greedy little devils too.

The get fed a couple of handfuls of veg and an egg cup of pellets each in the morning, and an egg cup of pellets in the evening each too. And as much hay as they want. And they are always on the scrounge for more food whenever they can. But that is all they get, don't want them getting over weight you see.

mine are greedy little monsters, that why they were staring at us when we were looking at them, i give them (between four i will add) 40g of pellets in the morng, and continious hay all day (equivilent to six washing up bowl fulls is what they eat during the day at least, sometimes its 8-10)

and then they get greens in the evening, but they all hound me like im starving them lol

My OH always falls for the begging trick and I keep having to tell him off! :lol: If they were hungry they'd eat more hay.

i got a free sample of Science Selective yesterday abd bcus they r big pellets i gave mine all one as a treat and peanut went CRAZY biting, chasing thumping at all the others :roll:

men!

How do greedy bunnies get on with other buns? Alfie will be getting a wifey very soon but I'm worried the poor girl won't get a look in at feeding time. :?

My usually quiet Gussy will chase Poppy all round the room so she doesn't get to it first :roll:

I am trying to change them to A&P but feel guilty as they don't like it so much, so at the moment they have a bit of both

My usually quiet Gussy will chase Poppy all round the room so she doesn't get to it first :roll:

I am trying to change them to A&P but feel guilty as they don't like it so much, so at the moment they have a bit of both

mine currently have half excell and half PAH because i got given a bag of excell, and they eat both happily, but they go mad for SS, i cant afford it as a regular food though, not with four, but the little sample pack is quite good for treats as they r quite large:lol:

The price is why I want to change to A&P :roll:

Ooh you'll get to meet my buns on Saturday...I'll make sure they are on their bestest behaviour :D

The price is why I want to change to A&P :roll:

Ooh you'll get to meet my buns on Saturday...I'll make sure they are on their bestest behaviour :D

hehe i cant wait, and alisons too!...hmmm i wonder which ones will fit in my bag :lol: :lol:

oh tonight you know how much you love jelly? you get to meet her identical black daughter! (not as shiny though! :no:)

cant wait til blue :D

How do greedy bunnies get on with other buns? Alfie will be getting a wifey very soon but I'm worried the poor girl won't get a look in at feeding time. :?

It's a problem we have. Our Rex doe is greedy. For everything. No matter what we're eating, she's on the scrounge. I've tried to explain that vegetable jalfrezi just won't be good for her, but there's no getting through. You can't drink a cup of tea without her trying get her nose in.

Our lionhead on the other hand likes to take his time and pick at food when he's ready. We're having big problems trying to get him his fair share.

There's no fighting though, and they clearly love each other.

My suggestion would be, when looking for a partner, try to find a doe with a forceful personality.

they settle down, peanut is a greedy as they come but he has three pals! if you cut veggies up small, and scatter pellets theyre fine :D

Thanks for the reassurance and advice. :love: I've just been having visions of the future of a very tubby Alfie and a stick-thin wifey, but I can relax a bit now. :)

Back