• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foxes

mrs munkee

Mama Doe
Hubby heard a fox barking last night :(

He said it was quite close, but not sure exactly where. He checked on the buns and they were fine. They probably hear them every night.

The bottom of our road backs onto woodland, so obviously i knew foxes are close by, but I didn't really think they ventured onto the housing estate. We all have wheelie bins so they can't really scavenge and i'd have thought there would be plenty of pickings in the woods.

Guess i'll be buying some more hasps and padlocks today....

For a very long time foxes have been venturing further into urban areas. I often see them in the middle of the day bold as brass crossing the street.

People may have bins now but there are always people that leave bin bags on the ground and people have lots of lovely pets for foxes. Also there will be people that leave food out deliberately for MR fox.

The amount of people near us that have chickens, rabbits, guinea pigs is huge. It must be like heaven for the foxes.

We had a massive surge in burglaries a while back and our whole street invested in security lights for the rear and front gardens, I think that has put the foxes off to a certain degree as our rubbish hasn't been attacked for a long time.

I don't think you can ever be too careful. If you haven't already I would invest in a good security light to cover your buns. Apparently male urine puts them off, and its also good for compost. I get my boys (only 2 & 4) to wee on the compost pile when we are in the garden... which they are all too pleased to do!

I also read somewhere that the smell of dog poo puts them off.

Another tip may be to leave a small radio on quietly in the garden. I guess that would depend on how close you are to your neighbours.

We had 8 outside on our street the other morning.. 3Am.. all doing the mating call.. Great!

I was up all night watching the buns..

They were running up and down the alley way (next to neighbours house)

Im nto sure hwo high foxes can jump but to get to the buns it would have to jump 2 7 foot fences :)

i had mussis fox a few weeks back who was looking at my young buns tastely, than last week at 4 in the morning i decided to watch a fox and see what he would do, he didnt see by the back door and i was trying very quietly to open the the door the security light came on, he then hid behind my sweetcorn and snuck back out, and sniffed the hutchs for which frosty my big gal made an almighty thump and carried on thumping for which he run off, he has been back but my buns are cornered orf on three sides and the front had cut up compost bags and two heavy weight pallets to cover the front, so he will have to make an almighty racket to get in, this is along double bolts etc

Back