• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm worried about William

AprilLynne

Warren Scout
:cry:I am quite worried about William tonight, but I'm hoping that I am overeating as I have a tendency to do that and make myself so anxious. :?

When I came home from work, I fed William some curly-kale as a treat and inspected his fur while I gave him some nose rubs. His cheek and neck are still bare skin from the surgery (now about 2 weeks past) and I thought I saw a very slight bulge where the abscess had been. :( It's just above where the vet cut and the stitches are still there - wanting to pop out, so I'm hoping that it could just be the scar and stitches. It's not big, but I'm just so worried that it could be the abscess coming back and not responding well to the antibiotic that he's been on (we switched from the original prescription to chloramphenacol after the vet grew a culture of the bacteria). the vet was so confident that it had been removed perfectly and I'm praying that he was right and I am just being a worrywart. :oops:

At the same moment I noticed that his right nostril looked a tiny bit damp. The left was perfectly dry. His right is trimmed down quite a bit as it was beside the fur they shaved for surgery, so it's probably a result of that - as he's eating lots of timothy hay and good pellets and pooing normally. I'm just quite anxious for his appointment Saturday with the vet - they will remove his stitches and hopefully reassure me that he's healing properly. I'm just quite anxious waiting for that and so afraid in the meantime that he's not.

Otherwise, he's behaving wonderfully - running round the basement and then coming upstairs to sit with me on the couch or run circles round my feet while I'm standing at the stove. :love::love:

Have you felt the area to see if Its a lump?It could just be scar tissue forming.What bacteria did the vet find from the culture and what antibiotics is William on now?

Last edited:
It could be, but when Zippy first had an abscess I rushed her back thinking it had come back, but it was just swollen from op and treatment. Hope everything is ok. XXXX

Have you felt the area to see if Its a lump?It could just be scar tissue forming.What bacteria did the vet find from the culture and what antibiotics is William on now?

I haven't felt it - I wasn't sure if that would hurt him. But when I get home today I will (leaving early for a holiday weekend!!! I get monday off from work!!)

He's on chloramphenocol (not sure how to spell it) now. I don't remember the name of the other, but I have it written down somewhere. The vet said that just one bacteria grew and it was one that doesn't respond to the antibiotics William was first on. He's been on the new one for almost 2 weeks (the first was about 4 days).

William goes in tomorrow morning so I'll see what the vet says then. William doesn't seem to be feeling bad at all and he's eating normally - begging for his breakfast this morning!

Back