• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please Spay Your Older Bunnies...

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
Sent Tanzi , one of our rescues in to be spayed today . Have to admit i was worried about it and was in two minds at first as she is 7 yrs old ....BUT... thank goodness we did ... she had a uterine tumor .

op went realy well...Hex , her partener went along to keep her company and she seems fine tonight and has even nibbled some dandylions.
They are currently thumping away in my bedroom :roll:

wont ever hesitate at spaying an older bun again .. :?

Glad she came through so well.

I totally agree with your post.

Our bun Sally was about 3-4 when she came to the rescue and wasn't spayed.

When she went in, the vet found a very large uncontained tumor in the uterus, the size of a golf ball apparently. She wouldn't be here now if she'd not been spayed.

How I wish I could persuade my friend to have her giant spayed, but she just glazes over whenever the topic is raised..

Sent Tanzi , one of our rescues in to be spayed today . Have to admit i was worried about it and was in two minds at first as she is 7 yrs old ....BUT... thank goodness we did ... she had a uterine tumor .

op went realy well...Hex , her partener went along to keep her company and she seems fine tonight and has even nibbled some dandylions.
They are currently thumping away in my bedroom :roll:

wont ever hesitate at spaying an older bun again .. :?

Hate to say it but I said so didn't I?, this has happened to me several times, they all went on to make a good recovery and lead a normal life afterwards so Tanzi should be OK now, really hope so and sending her loads of vibes.

How can we get the message across?, I really wish everyone would spey as soon as they are old enough

Hate to say it but I said so didn't I?, this has happened to me several times, they all went on to make a good recovery and lead a normal life afterwards so Tanzi should be OK now, really hope so and sending her loads of vibes.

How can we get the message across?, I really wish everyone would spey as soon as they are old enough

yes you are allowed to say "told you so " ;)

realy think we should try and come up with a hard hitting campaign on this .. :?

I think the main problem with getting people to spay their rabbits (and I'm not talking about us on RU here) is the cost of it. Our vets charge around £80+ for a spay and that is a lot of money for anyone, and as most rabbits figure quite low on people's to do list, too much for most to contemplate. An acquaintance of mine had two rabbits, sisters, and one died. So she bought a boy baby, and on my advice neutered him and they are living happily together. Now the female, who is four years of age, is showing signs of uterine cancer, but they, with the vet, are 'waiting to see'. She says that £100 ish for a spay is just not affordable right now, and can't be justified. So ultimately this rabbit will die (as I'm sure she does have cancer) leaving her boy bun alone. I don't blame her, as for many people struggling in this economic climate, would baulk at £100 for 'a rabbit'.. and they simply can't afford it..

I think the only answer is to raise awareness that female rabbits NEED spaying, so if you buy one you should factor in the additional cost, or of course, adopt an already neutered rabbit from a rescue. Rabbits are still so low down on people's pet radar that whilst they will neuter cats and dogs, they laugh at me when I suggest neutering rabbits - then complain about behavioural problems and aggressive rabbits :roll:

I think the only answer is to raise awareness that female rabbits NEED spaying, so if you buy one you should factor in the additional cost, or of course, adopt an already neutered rabbit from a rescue. Rabbits are still so low down on people's pet radar that whilst they will neuter cats and dogs, they laugh at me when I suggest neutering rabbits - then complain about behavioural problems and aggressive rabbits :roll:

I agree. There should be lots more posters about this in vets and rabbit awareness week is a prime time to get the message out to the public.

i'm glad Tanzi is ok and i hope she makes a good recovery :wave:

Back