• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do with my shed/kennel??

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
Since I got my kennel adapted for the rabbits I've not had money to do anything with it, but I'm going to ask mum for some money for Christmas to try and make it alot better for Sapphire and Jamie.

At the moment I cover the front up with tarpauline to make it warmer... it is clear, however, so light still gets in and, when it's sunny, I pull it down altogether so to let the sun shine in (but not too much as it's only morning sun that gets the shed)

What could I put over the front and, also, how easy would it be (and cheap) to put some ramps and shelves in for them?

All ideas considered really, but this is what they've got now:-

DSC00012.jpg

Lou xx

You could have a browse through recycle and see if anyone's getting rid of old coffee tables and put these in instead of shelving. You can stick carpet tiles on to make it non -slip when they jump up. You could also slip a deep straw filed box underneath the table to make a nice warm bed for them during the winter. Straw has better insulation properties than hay, and with 2 of them snuggled together they'll be warm and toasty even during the coldest night.:lol:

You could have a browse through recycle and see if anyone's getting rid of old coffee tables and put these in instead of shelving. You can stick carpet tiles on to make it non -slip when they jump up. You could also slip a deep straw filed box underneath the table to make a nice warm bed for them during the winter. Straw has better insulation properties than hay, and with 2 of them snuggled together they'll be warm and toasty even during the coldest night.:lol:

They're fantastic ideas =]

There's never much on the Liverpool freecycle though, hmmmm. Would I make a ramp and attach it to the table?

x

I wouldn't bother..they can jump up no bother. It also means you can move everything around from time to time to keep them interested. Wish I'd known you were thinking of doing alterations Lou , as I sent two grotty old coffee tables to the tip a week ago!! I'll tell Rog to keep an eye open up at sefton as he's doing work at the tip there.

Aww thanks Hilda.

It just dawned on me today that I've not been able to do anything with it, they must be pretty bored.

Eventually I want a run coming out on to the grass as when I let them out at the moment they go under the shed and i cant get them back out for hours x

i always recommend boot fairs for bunny stuff, youd get loads little shelves or a coffe table for them and it will be cheap. i bought a large kids tunnel for mine and they love it, so much more than pet shop ones! and it cost 50 pence!

you could easily put one of those in there?

Wilkinson's sell small plastic stools for £1.99 I think.

A big card board box with 2 holes in and an old towel for digging.

I'd block up their route under the shed they might dig tunnels under there and escape or during the winter when it goes dark early you might not beable to get them out from underneath and Mr Fox might get them.

Rabswood

A hutch as a shelter? Plenty usually available on freecycle and they dont have to be big.

A coffee table and some chairs for you and the buns to sit on?

It is a lovely shed.

You can often pick up child friendly sized items at charity shops to, ie small plastic chairs and tables. They are always very cheap too!

Lots of good ideas on here. Amazing how resourceful we are!

I got an under bed storage box in Ikea and fill this with hay for my buns as a bed. Plastic cat/dog beds also good for this. My hubby made some shelving from leftover decking pieces. He's sectioned their shed off with wood from a double bed frame (so I have storage for food and hay at one end. Our run was made using wood from an old farm gate that had been dumped and he made some tunnels for them from drainage pipes found in a skip at a building site. The only thing we had to pay for was the mesh. The only thing now is I can't pass a skip without having a look!!

Your shed looks great and Im sure you'll have fun setting it up. The little stools from Wilkinsons at 1.99 are a good buy. Definitely keep an eye on Freecycle, etc.

Good luck with your project.

Back