• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

School rabbits...Your advice

MopsyMops =]

Warren Veteran
Hi

yesterday we went to my best friends sisters primary school. The two rabbits there, sweetpea and Milly have a huge run and house. However we got there and there wasn't any straw. The run hasn't been moved probs since holidays. This made me really upset as we ( me and my best friend )used to look after them when we were there. They are a bit podgy. So we gave them a hug, cleaned their bottoms, clipped their nails ext. I kniow that they are loved by the children dearly. It was so sad for us though because they used to be in our care and then we handed it over to my best friends sister who also looked after them . When she left we went there and said we think an adult should be in charge now. So apperantly they have volunteer mothers who come in and feed them ext .
I'm really stuck at what to do now. I am going to write a ltter and leave it on the hutch ( which i've done before) and am going back to check on them extremely soon. My best friend lives closer to the school than me so she is going to pop in there aswell.
I don't know if there is anything that we could do also.??

well i think you have done alot buy cutting there nails cleaning there bums i think the letter idsear is good i think your being caring and doing it all right :wave:

I posted a thread about having animal sin schools a couple of weeks ago as we were considering it as an option - it' stories like this that make me unsure! Poor buns, well doen for helping them out. It should have always been an adult in charge - I can't believe a primary school allowed children to take full responsibility fo rthem? Have I understood that right? x

I would write a letter to the headteacher, stating your concerns and follow it up with a call to the RSPCA if it falls on deaf ears.

I wonder how much these 'volunteer mothers' know about bunnies and whether they think you can just give them food and water and let them look after themselves. :(

If a school has pets then someone at the school should take full responsibilty for them inclduing feeding, cleaning and health checking. Even when children "help out" this should be over seen by a teacher.

If no one can do this then the rabbits should be found a good permanent forever home with someone who will look after them.

I would definately write to the headteacher and fully expalin the situation. They may not be aware.

Writing a letter is a good idea (and probably all you can do at this point). BUT bear in mind the person who reads it will be someone who is looking after the rabbits (not the headteacher) so just be polite and say how the bunnies were when you saw them - what needed doing and what you were able to do.

Then if you or your friend can stop by every couple of days to see if the letter is read and if the rabbits are better looked after, hopefully everything's improved.

If not or if you think it's worth it anyway, then you could write a letter to the headteacher (put it through the school's letterbox, not on the hutch).

I also agree with writing a lett to the head, as there the schols pets the school has to take respinsability. Who will pay vet fees etc.. should they be needed?

I work in a school and have a pet care day few times a year now. Ive expanded to other schools and do my sons this year with his help. Normaly I take rats and mice in, maybe a dog but this year Im going to take a rabbit aswell. I spend half a day disscussing with primary children on care of the pets and feeding etc.. I then allow the to pet them, following I give out work sheets I make myself. I also show the hard work side and commitment, certainly makes teachers there think 1st.

We had a problem recently with a local primary school. Their small pets were being taken home at weekends and holidays by anyone who offered.
They had a guinea pig bounced of a drum and his back broken, a rabbit killed by the family's dog and another escape never to be seen again.
We called in the local RSPCA inspector (who we do a lot of work with) he went into the school and told them that what they were doing was not in the animals best interests.
He told them there MUST be one designated carer for all school pets and a written agreement that they would care for the pet at weekends (not OK to leave extra food and water, must be taken home) and holidays and that vet bills would be covered (either by said person or school).
You could tell the Head teacher of your school what the inspector told our local school. If they can't find someone to take on responsibility then they would need to rehome them.
You could also print out some rabbit welfare fund leaflets from their website on rabbit care and give them to the school.
Good luck, keep us informed.

Thankyou everyone. Well the volunteer mother must not know alot becuase they didn't have hey either ! Its basic! I think thats the reason why they felt so chubby because they are not being given hay . I think what i am going to do is write a letter to put on the cage. and also write a letter to the head teacher. Tbh i don't know when they last went to the vets as the bottoms were dirty but not over so. I am going to go bac in acouple of days ( fingers crossed ) to check on them.
I will udate you on how things go !

Back