• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I thought my bun was dead

clarem

Warren Scout
This morning I went to the shed as usual to see my two buns and the female (4 yr old Netherland Dwarf) was laying on her back on the soft bunny bed her legs in the air and her head to one side (eyes open). When I opened the door she didn't move at all (not like her she is normally the first to come down and go out). Well I thought she had died in the night and ran to get my son to come and have a look. When we got back to the shed she was in the same position. He went in and put his hand on her and could see her nose twitching and told me she was still alive but still she didn't move. I thought she had died right then in front of us and as I am standing there in tears my son is trying to see if she would move then all of a sudden she rolled back onto her front and sat up. She licked her self for a min then came down the ramp. She has eaten some treats and is now lying down in her outside run. In the 4 yrs we have had her I have never seen her lie like this and just not move and it scared me to death. I don't know now whether I should take her to the vet for a check up.

I'm wondering if she has just tranced herself?

It is strange you've never seen her do it before in all that time though :? Does she seem perfectly normal now?

I had a bunny for which this was a regular occurrence... I had several panics, one where I had been stood over her for about a minute and she suddenly realised I was there and rolled over, looking startled.

I can't advice for certain that it's nothing to worry about but reassure you that it MIGHT NOT be anything to worry about!

nethies do seem to lie on their back quite a bit if my rosie is anything to go by and she only does it when she's very chilled out and happy. When humans lie bunnys on their back they may become tranced (i.e. seem to enter a very relaxed state, but infact it is a prey based reaction with the body trying to play dead)...I guess it is possible that she tranced herself.

If she exhibits and other unusual behavior like not eating, pooing, tooth grinding etc then I would take her to the vet but as it is it sounds like she is just one very chilled out bunny.

She is fine now, in her run with her husbun acting perfectly normally. I had never heard of rabbits being in a trance, you learn something new every day with buns don't you! It just brought it home to me how awful it would be to lose her :(

Coco lies on his side and doesnt move most days,i open the hutch and think oh no Coco,stroke him and he opens his eyes:roll:
probably has a giggle to himself:roll:

Back