• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Catching Fendi

I just went downstairs to have my first cuddle with Fendi and trying to catch her was a real hassle. She just jumped out of my hands and it was impossible. The lady said to wait a week but by then I wouldnt be able to hold her at all because she will probably get worse. I want to nip it in the bud while she is young but do I wait another day or go down and try again?
Help - I dunno what to do!

X

remember all rabbits are prey animals and you will be scaring her give her chance to setlte into her new home first. once she has settled start by stroking her and letting her out while you sit on the floor she will be curious and in time will come to you...then once she has learnt you areent scary you should allow her to eat from yourhand or put treats on your lap so she hops up to you.slowly she will gain your rtrust and you hers and so it should all go well.. also remember when she is old enough to get her speyed to prevent uterine cancer and to reduce hormones and phantom pregnancys swhich are very stressful for a bun x

It is very early days for your new bunnies, I think it was only yesterday when you brought them home isn't it?

They will need some time to settle into their new surroundings, with new smells and sounds. I would suggest letting Fendi come to you to start off with as suggested by Bunlover. I would let her gain your trust a little before you start to pick her up. Remember - a lot of bunnies are not comfortable about being picked up and held, particularly if they have not been handled a great deal as babies.

Alfie used to be a wriggler when we first got him and he still isn't a cuddly lap bunny - he loves having his cheeks rubbed but only with all four feet firmly on the ground - but will let me pick him up for bum checks and to get him in and out of the hutch etc.

As bunlover and vanessa have said, just spend some time sitting with her, talking softly and trying to hand feed her. If she still seems scared, then leave her another day or so to get used to her new home and try again but don't keep trying to handle her until she's a lot more relaxed because she'll just learn to run away every time she sees you. She'll soon come round I'm sure.

Alfie used to be a wriggler when we first got him and he still isn't a cuddly lap bunny - he loves having his cheeks rubbed but only with all four feet firmly on the ground - but will let me pick him up for bum checks and to get him in and out of the hutch etc.

As bunlover and vanessa have said, just spend some time sitting with her, talking softly and trying to hand feed her. If she still seems scared, then leave her another day or so to get used to her new home and try again but don't keep trying to handle her until she's a lot more relaxed because she'll just learn to run away every time she sees you. She'll soon come round I'm sure.

Thank you!
I guess I am just not used to it as Louis is such a cuddley bun and is so easy to handle but no rabbits are the same! I will spend the the night with her before I go to bed but I will get her used to my vioce and smell first.
The last thing I want to do is scare her :(
Gucci is fine though - She is quite cuddley too but still getting used to me :)

x

pebble is like that! she hates being picked up! she lunges growls, she bit me yesterday and made me bleed through a hoody! :shock:

Back