• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Starter Kit...

MammaH

Alpha Buck
Hey all hope you are all doing well, and so are your buns too

Was just wondering on a good list for a starter kit for a new house bun

I'm picking Binx up next week and I already have the cage and a couple of toys and a litter tray, but I was also wondering what else and thought I would ask you Vetran Bunny olders for some advice, I have a check list and I was wondering if you could let me know if there is anything that else that I need or dont

- Cage
- Blanket (for underneath bedding)
- Straw/ Shredded Paper
- Litter tray
- Litter (not sure on what type to get)
- Food Pellets
- Food Bowl
- Water Bowl or Water Bottle
- Toys (treat ball, soft toy etc)
- Cage cleaner
- Emergency First Aid Kit (need help on that)

Obviously it looks like a short list so any more things that can be added would be a massive MASSIVE help:D

- Blanket (for underneath bedding)
- Straw/ Shredded Paper
- Litter tray
- Litter (not sure on what type to get)

If you don't already have a blanket you plan to use, Ikea do some very good cotton rugs for 99p each. They can be machine washed but not tumble dried (though the lable says hand-wash only).

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90124138

There are also these at £1.39, which are officially machine-washable.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30052399

I don't buy litter for the litter tray. I use a good thick layer of newspaper and then fill one end of the tray with cheap straw (PaH straw is OK for that) and the other end with hay, then position the tray so they are encouraged to sit in the straw end.

I'd get a couple of litter trays, especially as hes new. I tend to just use shavings in Blues trays. I buy them in MASSIVE bales for my local saddler. Hes also good for straw. Id stay away from shredded paper.....most buns I know love to rip and tear paper then eat it so it might not be a good idea.
Theres a thread on a bun first aid kit in one of the other forums, I think it might be the reference section.
I'd pick up a couple of bun books too, I got rabbitlopedia and Living with a house rabbit to get me started.
Maybe a baby gate would be a good idea too, that way you can safely section him from areas hes not allowed to go without blocking him off completely (if that makes sense)
I also stocked up on emergency bunny proofing things, theres always something that you miss! At least, I know I did!! :oops:
Have you got a pet carrier? I leave Blues on the floor all the time so that its nothing scary for him and stresses him out less when I have to use it. Gives him somewhere to hide too when it all gets a bit much but hes frightened of missing out on things.
A couple of large plastic bins are useful too, you can get them in most cheapie shops. I use them for bedding hay and food. They were a later addition to my bunny paraphernalia especially after Blue started getting on top of his hutch and ripping the bags up (such a mess!!!) :roll:
I also bought his his own cleaning equipment (scrubbing brush/dustpan/bucket) mostly because I didn't want to accidentally get normal cleaning products in his hutch.
Have you got grooming stuff? I bought a comb and a brush but he REALLY objects to the brush! Takes it out of my hand and throws it across the room.
I also found a small tool box was great for keeping all his important bits and pieces together as well, and an untreated wicker bin to put all his toys in. He seems to like playing with that more than he toys though!!
WOW I've written heaps! It's fantastic that you've come on before he arrives,
you'll make an awesome bunny mum
Good luck!!

Main thing is plenty of hay. Pop hay over the newspaper and shavings in the litter tray :) A bun should have fresh hay 24/7 and lots of it to keep their teeth in good condition and their digestive system :) I also have metal balls with hangers full of hay :) Hay is much cheaper buying it in a bale from a horse yard or farm shop but you will need a garage or shed to store it in.

i now just use newspaper and hay in the litter trays... used both wood pellets and megazorb and really newpaper is just as good as long as the trays are cleaned out regulary :D

cant think of anything to add to your list.. just a bunny :D:D

Looks good!! In my litter trays I usually put a layer of hemp bedding (I dont use pine as I was told it releases fumes (the smell) which can be harmful to buns) Then I put plenty of hay over the top. I know alot of people just use newspaper then hay on top.
Bring on the bunny!!! :D

Back