• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Licking

Charys

Mama Doe
I know this is a good sign, in our relationship with the bunny we have had for a couple of weeks, that he chooses to groom us. I have read today 'Why does my rabbit do that?' and do indeed feel honoured that he regularly bestows this affection on us in this way. However, how much do other peoples' rabbits lick? When my daughter was lying on the floor with Mint today, he went all around her licking her hands and feet in order - all in all 15-20 mins non-stop !!!!! Over the last couple of days, the more confident he has become (and he is incedibly confident, leaping on our laps and lying stretched out and goorming in the middle fo the room etc.) the more he has licked, now when you reach out to him his first reaction is to lick your hand - is this usual ?

Mine has just started licking, but you have to watch out for his teeth as sometimes he nips. I am sure that he thinks my fingers are carrots.:lol:

is this usual ?

I don't think it's exactly usual, but nor is it anything greatly unusual. (I'd be really pleased to have a bunny with that much affection :love:)

Of the 6 rabbits I've had I've only had two lickers and I really love licky bunnies!

Scrat (who I lost in April) got to know that I'd lay on the floor with my elbow on a cushion and she would get there before me and as soon as my eblow hit the cushion she would start her licking marathon. She would even nudge me to get me to turn my arm over so that she didn't miss any.

It sounds like you've got a lovely little bunny!!

Thanks for your replies Animal Ry, Silver fox and Bunny buddy - Oh how lovely, I am delighted now !!! I feel so lucky that I've got a licking rabbit :D:D:D I am lucky in that he hasn't continued nipping, he did it twice a couple of days ago, but I withdrew fairly quickly and he hasn't done it again. Scrat sounds adorable, sorry you lost her :cry:

I dont even hae to shower anymore, Misty is a lickaholic, elbows, feet, faces, clothes, legs the whole shabang :lol:

Blue likes to lick too.....usually when I stop to give him a quick fuss on my way somewhere....hes always making me late!!

So, there are other obsessional licking rabbits too ! :wave: Just wondering if those rabbits that do so much of it get some 'flavour' from our skin. Are we like some very large mineral block with a salty flavour ?

Alfie licks me sometimes but he much prefers to stick his nose in my face and demand that I rub his cheeks instead. :lol:

Squidgy is a licker.
He loves to lick forearms, noses and foreheads.
A bunny lick is a great cure for a headache!

I know this is a good sign, in our relationship with the bunny we have had for a couple of weeks, that he chooses to groom us. I have read today 'Why does my rabbit do that?' and do indeed feel honoured that he regularly bestows this affection on us in this way. However, how much do other peoples' rabbits lick? When my daughter was lying on the floor with Mint today, he went all around her licking her hands and feet in order - all in all 15-20 mins non-stop !!!!! Over the last couple of days, the more confident he has become (and he is incedibly confident, leaping on our laps and lying stretched out and goorming in the middle fo the room etc.) the more he has licked, now when you reach out to him his first reaction is to lick your hand - is this usual ?

My LOla licks me constantly - if I am sat on the PC she licks my ankles - she lovesa good pair of smelly feet to lick - not mine of course :shock:

hehehehehehe do bare in mind that bunnies like to lick there wee and eat there own poo :D not that it really puts me orf i have 4 licky bunnies i just watch what they do before hand, as i got one whos just been neutered so is still spraying like mad at the mo licking it chining it then washing hemself in it then wanting cuddles from me charrrrrrrrrrrrming :roll: i still love him though

we have has Charlie less than 48 hours and he loves licking, not surprising, seeing as he has went from being a very lonely rabbit in a small run, to having two hoomans and regular time in my 13ft living room.

He even jumped on the couch to give my sleeping OH a lick this afternoon!!

we have has Charlie less than 48 hours and he loves licking, not surprising, seeing as he has went from being a very lonely rabbit in a small run, to having two hoomans and regular time in my 13ft living room.

He even jumped on the couch to give my sleeping OH a lick this afternoon!!

That must be so rewarding! It just shows how much character rabbits have in the right environment, with the right care. Bless him. (and well done you too!)

Aren't we lucky ! Thanks for all the interesting replies, aren't rabbits the COOLEST animals :D I've so enjoyed hearing about all the licky bunnies, including the stinky weeing pooey ones ;) I bet that the rabbit lick curing the headache is because it really makes you relax....or maybe, just maybe...they have magical healing powers. I think I'll think of it as the second alternative.

Last edited:
Cadbury is a licker too! Minstrel wouldn't dream of licking hoomans though. :lol: Cadbury licks arms, hands, legs if they're bare and occasionally trousers. He's climbed on my back and groomed my head before :roll: and i've seen him licking their chewy log too :roll:

His latest thing though is to bite trouser waistbands :? he put a lovely big hole in the top of my best jeans the otherday :censored: and he would not let go!

Back